The Future of Filtering Enabled: Experimental Mode

Thank you.

1 Like

Hoping that this change doesn’t backfire for ROBLOX.

4 Likes

Good news. I will put a tutorial on my channel up soon about ‘Experimental Mode’ then… won’t be calling it FilteringEnabled for long :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Hm. I don’t like this. You want new players to make games and learn to code in lua, although, what is the point when no one is going to play. I don’t mind FE but making it so that only people over 13 can play FE games? Not good.

Rethink this ROBLOX.

3 Likes

Hi AwesomeSquid,

There is not a restriction on who can play the game, but rather who can find it in search results / the games page. Newer developers will still be able to link their friends directly to their place to play with them, and the game will still be visible on their profile page.

1 Like

That’s actually the opposite of what Roblox is doing. They are making it so non-FilteringEnabled games can’t be found by search for <13 users. This is just a safety concern.

3 Likes

The reason why they’re doing that is because Non-FilteringEnabled games get exploited continuously. Inappropriate images being one of them.

4 Likes

I support all updates aimed to increase player saftey. Good work Roblox :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Although I agree with your comments, some exploiters can still bypass Filtering Enabled.
And I would like to know if people under 13 can still see ads for non-filtering enabled games?

1 Like

Honestly this sounds good.

I wouldn’t at all mind if Experimental Mode was just discontinued and FilteringEnabled was made mandatory for all new places created, however that is just my opinion.

Also, like said above, are <13 users able to see Experimental Mode advertisements?

5 Likes

They do not bypass FilteringEnabled. Exploiters make use of security flaws that developers program into their game because the developers may not understand fully how the “don’t trust the client” concept works. Other than that, they abuse the special replication rules that are in place for instances that they have physics ownership over, such as their own character. There are/were also some exploits using the special replication rules around constraints, but these are being slowly patched out.

If you turn on FilteringEnabled and program your game properly with the “don’t trust the client” concept in mind at all times, the only exploits you should be seeing are ones pertaining to the exploiter’s own character, such as speedhacking, teleporting, noclipping, etc. If you do see other kinds of exploits while you have FilteringEnabled on, you can post about it in Development Discussion and maybe people can give you ideas on what you might be doing wrong.

11 Likes

Very good news from my point of view.

Has this already been decided @JParty? If left alone, I’m not sure if ads/sponsored games would change, but I don’t know if there are already plans to factor these in or not.

Very good idea in my opinion, say goodbye to all 2011 games ;(

They aren’t going lol, you can still play them.

I’d like to ask though - when is this being rolled out? I’m eager to make sure anyone I know has upgraded before the deadline.

Dates for the different phases were detailed in the RDC slides, look there for more info (IIRC they were in the kid-friendly talk)

1 Like

15 Likes

Thanks!

Also which talk was this? If it was Technical 1 then I can watch the stream version

1 Like

Enable filtering by default already.

6 Likes

Well it’s a good thing I designed my game with FE from the start. I also gladly support this update on making the community safer for young ones.

2 Likes