Thumbs Downs to Require (tiny) Explanation

[quote] Or, how about we just force comments to be enabled.
I know there are some legitimate reasons to disallow it, but most of the time disabled comments are used for malicious purposes. [/quote]
‘PLAY MY PLACE FOR FREEEEE VIP’
‘PERSON ABOVE ME DOES A THING’
‘PERSON BELOW ME DOES A THING’
‘LOL LOL LOLOLOLOLOL’
‘THERES A SECRET HACK AT MY PLACE’
‘COME TO MY PLACE 18+’
‘BUILDERMAN TOLD ME HOW TO’
‘WANT FREE OBC LIFETIME AND 999999999R$ GO TO THIS LINK BOB.BOBBY(DOT)COM’
[/quote]

Better than disabling them to prevent players from exposing poor games.

[quote] Why should they require explanation? Even more so, why should this explanation be forced from a user? If the game owner is wishing to receive feedback on their games, they have the comment section, private messaging or, as has been mentioned earlier in the thread, they can start a forum to have the community not only actively participate in improving the game but also in the ROBLOX forums.

Why you are suggesting a feature which already exists and has been successfully utilised in the development of many games is beyond me. [/quote]

Great, but people who rate aren’t going to go tell you about the positive or negative aspects of your game. So we will never be able to know.
Player’s rarely commit to the development of games, because they simply don’t care.[/quote]

And if they don’t care, what point is there to force them to justify a thumbs down? If someone cannot be bothered to leave a comment, or something else, when you’ve asked them too how helpful do you think a “forced” comment is going to be? Eventually people would just copy/paste whatever someone else said.

No where else do you see ratings on games which do not expect you to give a reason behind your rating.

If you do find one, link it here.

Also, there is no way I’m changing my view on this.

I for one, think that I should not have to provide a reason to dislike something.

But, that aside… even ignoring all of the various ethical concerns and what not: The system simply would not work as stated.

In fact, if anything the system would prevent those who normally provide useful feedback from voting, as they are too lazy to type out a reason, but would not prevent mobs and malicious voters from voting, as they would just enter an arbitrary reason in the box, such as “the gameplay was bad”, which can’t possibly be removed for being “invalid”.

That’s why I said to make a list of options that you can pick as many of them as you want such as for a bad game:

-Lag
-Fake thumbnail
-Bugs
etc.
With the option of
-Other, where you can write your own comment.

[quote] That’s why I said to make a list of options that you can pick as many of them as you want such as for a bad game:

-Lag
-Fake thumbnail
-Bugs
etc.
With the option of
-Other, where you can write your own comment. [/quote]

Would still bring about the same result. People would randomly click a reason from the list and go with it.

Better than what we currently have.

Not really.

Having few comments/PMs is better than a landslide of incorrect reviews, which won’t help you either way. If you want to collect people’s thoughts can you not simply start a forum thread?

[quote] That’s why I said to make a list of options that you can pick as many of them as you want such as for a bad game:

-Lag
-Fake thumbnail
-Bugs
etc.
With the option of
-Other, where you can write your own comment. [/quote]

I’m not liking “pre-set” explanations because it would make the job of those thumbing down for no reason easier. They’d just click a random pre-set and boom, thumbs down’d. If it were to only be custom explanation we’d get more specificity and validity of their comment than pre-sets.

I am seeing it now that it can be hard to conjure up your own explanation. I thought of “writing prompts”, which can be put in by the creator. I found it easier to write a response to an article (for school) when I had these prompts: “What did you think of this article? Did you learn something new? Do you think this article is helpful to teenagers?”, if I get stuck during my response I always look to these prompts to get going again.

These writing prompts should be written respective to the game, I know I have doubts when uploading the game like it may be too laggy or there’s too many GUIs, I could put “Are there too many GUIs? Are you suffering from lag? Is the game too hard?” to help get an easy explanation out.

Ultimately, people who thumbs down because they don’t like the creator is going to happen but having custom explanations is going to further prevent that. The system now, accepting any thumbs down, is not preventing that at all.

I would just like an explanation so I can improve the game but for reasons stated above, I see why this will not happen.

Which reasons?

Which reasons?[/quote]

1. Generic input for invalid downvotes
  2. Upvotes would require explanation
  3. Generic input for invalid upvotes
    4)There’s no way to make users tell the truth.

Which reasons?[/quote]

1. Generic input for invalid downvotes
  2. Upvotes would require explanation
  3. Generic input for invalid upvotes
    4)There’s no way to make users tell the truth.[/quote]

1, 3: What do you mean by “generic input”
2: Upvote Explanation is unnecessary but if you feel it’s “fair” then np
4: And why’s that important, that there’s no way to make them tell the truth, when the same fact applies to internet and IRL business. With this way we’re encouraging to tell the truth, which is better than now, which is encouraging unrightful thumbs downs.

1. ROBLOX was fine before rating existed
  2. They should be optional for non-paid access game like they were going to be at the beginning (I though >.<)
  3. If you have something to say about how ratings are good then why dont you check your own games and see how many stupid people down rated your game, trust me, its alot probably if you’ve made it into the dev forums.

I feel like this is what the comments section is for

1. Comments are just spam
  2. If a hacker is cheating in your game and you ban him, he will dislikes it, sounds fair to me (NOT)

I’m not going to say that your opinion on like/dislikes needing fixes is wrong, but I am going to strongly suggest that you drop the topic and stop spending time arguing over it. You will have very a hard time finding any support for it among people on the Roblox staff. If anything it’s the one part of the last couple years of stuff added to the site that is not in need of any further work and just fine like it is.

The more you go into the topic the more you’ll realize that any way of “fixing” the problems with it won’t actually end up doing much to fix the problems with it. Look at other sites: Getting accurate input from users on items that can’t be spoofed or otherwise incorrectly manipulated is a hard problem. If you’re going to make suggestions you should really try taking a look at prior art, and seeing how other sites approach the problems. You’ll be able to get a lot more support for your ideas if you have existing examples of them working well to point at.

Also, there’s the fact that a lot of this discussion is forgetting that a large portion of the Roblox community is fairly young under-13 users. You can’t say that their ratings are “invalid” in some way because they don’t “understand” your game or something like that. The point of the ratings is to suggest what games the average Roblox user will like the most. Maybe if these people rating your game down don’t “understand” it, then the average Roblox user won’t “understand” it and thus won’t like it either, and thus it deserves a low rating, no matter how good it may be, or how fun it may be for some fringe group of users on Roblox. Same thing for “bad” front page games. It doesn’t matter how badly they are made, if they are fun for the average Roblox user then they deserve a good rating. That is: Ratings are about what the average user likes. You have to remember that then you’re looking at them. You don’t necessarily have to feel like the dislikes on your game are saying it’s a bad game, they’re saying it’s a bad game… for the average user.

Just gonna say I got an 11/1 like/dislike ratio, and that’s after all the dislikes I get from being PBs rivals and people not being accepted into security and Rolijok subjecting people who annoy him to the fires if hell. So like/dislike ratio should not be a problem if your game is good, as the idiots who dislike for stupid reasons are on every single game out there, but get drowned out by those with genuine reasons to like or dislike.

I do believe you just made a statement completely based off your one game… and I’ll get back to you Stravant

I’m continuing this, but in a different way, but later since I’m busy, I’m coding again!!

I do believe you just made a statement completely based off your one game… and I’ll get back to you Stravant

I’m continuing this, but in a different way, but later since I’m busy, I’m coding again!![/quote]

I was going to further explain, but screw it. I’m a horrible person who understands nothing outside of my own direct experiences.