Trail Update (all platforms available)

Orientation is based on the attachments with no way to make the segments “billboard” like this, so it’s almost impossible to rely on the trail to keep a consistent appearance for more than a couple seconds for that kind of thing.

What’s the point of a trail emitter if it’s actually not very good for trails?

1 Like

Can’t you just use basic CFrame math to make the attachments stable?

Because the trail you showed could easily be created with a particle emitter, they dont necessarily need to make to function like that.

Could it? ParticleEmitters emit separate particles – not trails. You can try to make the distance between the particles so small that it appears to be a trail, but there’s not enough granularity to get it perfect – you’ll still be able to see that it’s not a solid trail e.g.

3 Likes

Oh I thought they functioned the same way, yeah trails would looks smoother then.

Doing tire tracks with this is going to be awesome :smile:

my answer on the entire topic about just using particle emitters to create a trail :

You would need a rate sometimes above 500 and sometimes even infinite ; this does not only cause a lot of additional rendering lag ; but the emit rate also heavily depends on the end users graphics settings meaning only ppl with graphics 6 and above will see a real “trail”

While the new trail feature is pretty much visible on all graphics settings as a constant trail.

I noticed that Trails are now *available, hooray! :grinning:

EDIT, once more: The Trail API page went up and unfortunately it says that Trails were released but are disabled. :frowning: Good to learn the properties for now though.

######*they can be created but don’t do anything yet

5 Likes

hope they get enabled soon ):

We need to make some changes to Trail. Still need one or two weeks. Sorry.

5 Likes

No, once a segment is created it remains in that orientation. You can make the attachments oriented with the camera, but only new segments will be oriented correctly if the camera moves.

Just got out of school and now reading up on this new trail effect object.

Has there been any new updates on the progress of this?

Looks pretty exciting

1 Like

Welcome back!

From what I gather, It’ll take a week or so to release. I’m already prepping my games for this, so when it goes live I’ll be ready :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

hope it comes this Wednesday or Thursday ):

2 Likes

Yep. Super excited and hyped.

You think they’re making this update through trail and error? :smirk:

nvm that was terrible.

4 Likes

Maybe you should trail better next time.

Please don’t, that one was honestly bad. :frowning:

This thread has gone off track, let’s get back on the right trail

I’m super excited to do some speedforce lightning with this

These are enabled now, btw :wink:

10 Likes