Trail Update (all platforms available)

Speaking of which, is there a way to configure LightInfluence for trails like there is with SurfaceGuis?

2 Likes

Couple questions:

• Are there any plans on making trails that emit without movement? Could be used for flags, or to just emit trails from a static point.

• Are the plans to allow us to mess with the size of the trail using NumberSequence?

like so

http://i.imgur.com/FwukKDg.png

(image credit goes to my home boy @Vorlias)

16 Likes

This would be great, especially for things like footsteps.

4 Likes

I was also looking to do this myself, a velocity property (or something similar) for the trail’s past positions could be nice.

2 Likes

Do these work with CFramed parts? Do they emit every frame?

They emit every frame, yes. (unless you didn’t move them at all of course)

This example was made with CFramed parts, so it works just as fine as if they were unanchored:

(IMAGE EDITED OUT)

5 Likes

Any chance we could make the trails movement be relative to something else?
This was a really cool idea but theres no way to make it work when the tank is moving

2 Likes

Can’t wait for this future!

Does anyone know if it’s possible to keep the trail from vanishing and stay in one spot? Because if I was trying to make a cape it would vanish once the player stops moving. I’ve tried using lifetime but idk.

Make a single part that follows a sinusoidal path behind the player’s character constantly and that has the trail object in it?

1 Like

Could we get parabolic or line trails?

Can you give some examples of what you mean by this?

1 Like

So basically the Phantom Forces team were looking into using trails for bullets, currently we use a system of GUIs and calculations to determine where they should show, it takes a fair bit of calculations.

The problem with the trails is if you make one from the gun out to the target, you can’t really see your own bullet because its on a 2d plane. We need a line of some sort using trails, that allows us to see it from different angles. Say a thickness that is viewable from all angles.

Example, we would need to see the trail from the side like so
e7ad9752be911d29a334185cd193c5d771002d1b.png

But viewing from front/back we want to see something like this
18cdc950189be9bd3cdd167c88169042c7cbad1b.png
and not
9eccb597527939204c2afa085494a290e2fa701d.png

8 Likes

A new type of trail that tries to face the camera might work well for that kind of case. This type isn’t available right now, but will be coming soon.

12 Likes

Are you referring to that thing BAADF00D was working on last summer 2016? Because that would be perfect for this use case.

I think he’s referring to the upcoming FaceCamera option, which makes trails do this when enabled.

1 Like

Ah yes, then this definitely does not solve the problem we’re talking about.

if you have a plane which rotates about a single axis, if the axis is pointing directly towards or away from you (as if it’s a bullet you’re shooting), there exists no solvable rotation which will make the plane not appear as an infinitely thin line (not at all)

Will the bullet always stay in the exact center of view? I think it’s hard to make it exactly a line in 3D world. Any angle will give it some width.

2 Likes

The question is not whether or not it will have some width. It’s whether or not it is stylistically acceptable. In other words, is it wide enough to look good. And the answer is no, it’s not acceptable, which is really unfortunate.

It would be really nice if we could have an object built for supporting fast moving small objects.

I remember that @0xBAADF00D was working on some parabolic trails for the purposes of VR teleport placement. Those would be great for this use case.

2 Likes

I think you can try attaching Trail to a ball shaped part, this will make a round head and you can see the ball at shooting point. The only problem is they won’t have a round ending :frowning: