Translation Codes Matter?

I was wondering does the translation code after the first part of the code matter?

EXAMPLE:
Arabic
ar-eg (Egypt)
ar-iq (Iraq)

Will this effect whos game get translated? Do they have to be in Egypt if I use ar-eg? If you could clarify localization and how games get determined to be translated that would help.

1 Like

Yes, the sub-code is important in most cases, as languages can differ by regions.

Here are some examples of regions that have variants of the same language in the same country, some major differences, some very minor.

If I used the Egypt version of Arabic. If someone in Iraq joined my game, would it not be localized and stay as the standard English, or translate to the closest Egyptian version of Arabic?

It would stay as English text, however I’m sure code could be written to interpret language codes in whatever way you desire.

The whole code matters and nothing will be translated unless it is a perfect match. For example, someone with ar-eg won’t receive ar-iq translations even if there is no ar-eg translation available. This is because the system can’t just assume a translation for one area will satisfy another area who speaks the same language.

To give an example how languages can be ever so slightly different and why the area matters, I will use the US, Canada, and UK.

All three countries speak English. However, there are quite a few words the US spells differently (for some reason) than how they are supposed to be. An example of this is ‘colour’, where the US spells it as ‘color’. Generally, Canada and UK use proper spellings whereas the US doesn’t.

However, you can’t decide to just use the same things for Canada and the UK since there are some differences in words we use from each other. Here in Canada, we say ‘pants’ the same way the US does, but in the UK it would sound more like you’re talking about trousers.

Though these English translations between the US, Canada and UK aren’t crucial and you really could just not bother with them, they make as a good example for English speakers to understand minor differences in how different countries speak the same language.

There’s cases, like the one you mentioned may be, where the language is drastically different. Those cases you can’t ignore, and must make different translations.

1 Like

Does this mean es-es is only used to translate to Spanish for those in Spain?

Anyone whose computer gives the es-es result. I wouldn’t know the specific of all the results and where they come from, all I know is that it needs to be an exact match to what you have in your localization table.

Yeah, in the same way that some of my friends accidentally have their PCs on English (United States) despite being in the UK, their PCs would send en-us. It’s based on the local settings, not actual geolocation data. It just goes with whatever you’ve chosen on your computer.

1 Like

Is there a way to check what they have there PC set too? Or would you need to run an offsite code to find it and send it to the game?

You can read SystemLocaleId for this
https://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:Class/LocalizationService/SystemLocaleId

Thanks!