UI Feature Ideas

UI Textures

As a UI designer, I really feel as though something along the lines of how the texture object can take a decal like the 1st image, and turn it into the 2nd image:

would be really cool for UI, especially since having to use the UIGridLayout object and duplicating the same image over and over is very tedious and inefficient:

Currently, when you want to add a tiled texture to UI, you’re only limited to the option I stated earlier (using the UIGridLayout object and duplicating the same image over and over), or else it’ll look pretty ugly. I think having textures for UI would make a lot of games with UI look really different from others, eye catching, and unique. If this ever got implemented, I think it would create a huge opportunity to have custom UI styles of your own, rather than having to use the current default Roblox styles. In fact, why not add more styles to the current list we have:

The amazing staff at Roblox have already added more text fonts (and you know how great that was), so why not add more styles for frames?

Text Stroke Size

We already have the ability to change the transparency for text strokes, but why not have the ability to change the size of them? The property would be located in this section:

and the text would most likely look something along the lines of this, depending on the stroke size (credit to @2Hex for making this, even though the sizes may be off):

Just like what I said about the UI textures, it would allow game developers to make unique UI with text that can really stand out, instead of leaving it to the text font to make it look cool.

41 Likes

FYI, this should go in Client Features (#feature-requests:client-features), not Studio Features. API changes and changes to object behaviour affect the client and thus should go there. Studio Features is for things that are really Studio-only, and these features you request are not.

UI texture tiling was something that was mentioned here by an intern for reference, although it was just to gauge interest:
http://devforum.roblox.com/t/generic-image-tiling/37560

Text stroke size was also suggested in this thread 2-3 months ago:
Ability to set thickness of text strokes, letter spacing on TextLabels & TextButtons

PS: Also don’t be afraid to make multiple threads at once if you are suggesting different things. For example, it would have also been fine to split this up in two threads so it’s easier to judge from the title what they are about (don’t have to do it now, but a tip for future threads).

I’m not sure about the first image as you could easily code it or make it in an image editor.

As for the second one…YES PLEASE THIS TextStrokeSizePixel Property

1 Like

Having features like these would make UI design a lot easier.