Updates to Chat Privacy API + New Account Indicators + Changes to Text Filtering APIs

And if we’re going to have it, could we please have it in the topbar that is already reserved for Roblox’s UI? Instead of in “our space” which we have already designated our own UI for?

Children under 13 can’t say non-whitelisted phrases anyway. I’m fairly certain roman numerals are not whitelisted.

I think this is just a mock-up design.

1 Like

Well even if it is a mock-up design, the fact that they positioned it under the banner seems to imply that they would be positioning it under the banner in the completed version, no? Otherwise the mockup would have shown it… in the banner…

1 Like

So I found the new changes to the top bar on gametest1.
They changed the health bar so that it becomes invisible if the user’s health is full.

If the user’s health is not full, then the account age text gets shifted up a bit to compensate for it.

This change is kinda weird, but whatever needs to be done is fine I suppose.

2 Likes

It’s been out for a few weeks and gaining more and more players each day. I’ll add the functions anyway, since it’s the right thing to do.

Was it intentional to release the DevRelations Email on the Public Area?

Probably. The developer forums isn’t the only community of developers on ROBLOX.

1 Like

Of course, however I’m sure the email will become far less useful if it becomes public knowledge? The amount of emails coming through will probably make it extremely hard to distinguish actual developer issues from ‘Help me get my account back’ sort of questions

So the solution to handful of possible abusers is to not allow people with potential concerns and questions regarding this API not have the ability to ask questions about such a major policy change? The majority shouldn’t be punished for a minority’s abuse.

Anyway, unnecessary diversion of topic. It seems intentional.

Really nice update! But isn’t the “under/over 13” cluttering the UI a bit on computer?

And is it fine to save eg asset IDs that users input and gets saved for “presistance” over play sessions? (Eg in tycoons that let you put a custom billboard/image outside your shop)

I think this relates to the changes they did a while ago in displaying the health bar on humanoids. Eg it would be odd to have a health bar on the top bar in a RP game where there is no “violence”.

This change is unrelated to the new visible age and it is currently live on prod.

1 Like

Not sure if you guys are aware of it, but

3 Likes

Yeah, we are aware. The line of code with this error is wrapped in a spawn, so it doesn’t actually cause an issue. I meant to put it inside a flag check, but I put it in the wrong place. Sorry for the output spam.

spawn(function()
	wait()
	calculateAccountText()
	accountType.Text = accountTypeText -- Error here.
end)

Thanks for the report though.

1 Like

Agreed - And I see your point now

1 Like

I can already see a few changes. Does this mean everything is live and enforcement on games have begun?

1 Like

A few questions:

• What is the point of the CanUser(s)ChatAsync methods when the filter methods are already returning empty strings if communication is not allowed between a pair of users? Just to more cleanly handle it in the code and display a nicer error message to the source player? The thread makes it suggest some games do need updating, even though the changes to the filter functions suggest it’ll sort of automatically work anyway.
  • What happens with the “account under 13” label when you do disable the top bar? Is it controllable?

For your first question, I assume that it’s just so you know if the player can chat in the first place, instead of the player chatting empty strings every time. I believe that it is meant to work in all games, however only as a patch (having the player speak empty strings wouldn’t be ideal).

It is mostly about this, I wonder when you need to update to avoid such moderation actions. I don’t understand in which cases your game is now “no longer compliant”.

Oh, I understand now. I believe that it refers to people who still aren’t using the updated functions perhaps? I can’t read their minds though, so I mirror your question @JParty

1 Like