Updates to Chat Privacy API + New Account Indicators + Changes to Text Filtering APIs

Changing the text to “13+” instead of “Account Over 13 yrs” would already be a big improvement.

6 Likes

I understand that the gui element needs to be (somewhat) consistent across all games and easily visible and readable, but there must be some way to provide us developers with an API that allows to change it. The ability to move and resize this gui element would be infinitely helpful in designing our games incorporate this feature.

Look at the difference between the default:

And if I had the option to move it:

It is not perfect but it looks so much better IMO.

12 Likes

I was once in a server where a bunch of under 13 players started telling each-other their ages. That’s also a big no no.

2 Likes

Having messages indicating that I am over 13 years old everywhere. Really makes me feel like I shouldn’t be playing this game as an 18 year old. Ofcourse I’m not gonna quit roblox over this update, I love roblox.

But can you please consider removing the Over 13 years old messages and keeping the under 13 years old messages.

4 Likes

Any chance we can get some customization on where this text appears?

12 Likes

Yeah if we could just change its position but clamp it to so that it has to always be visible somewhere:

I could just move the other text down but still, options are nice.

15 Likes

The age stat should be displayed in the chat – not the topbar. It doesn’t relate to any of the other features, so it’s more appropriate to be in the chat. If a game doesn’t have chat, no need for that stat, so even more sensible to display in chat since when the chat is disabled this will go away too. If there’s concern about people removing it, ROBLOX could enforce it similarly to using the filtering API.

16 Likes

I see there is a new thing called Parent PIN. If the parent chooses the settings and not the user, why would parents even need to check their screen…

3 Likes

A kid could easily create a new account and email address, set it to 13+, and play on that account instead without the parent knowing (if there was no indicator)

2 Likes

What is the point of doing all this if they can just make another account without their parents knowing.

1 Like

The point of the indicator is so that they can’t just make another account without their parents knowing.

Needed update, but my only annoyance:

The ingame indication. If possible, please let us set which corner of the screen to place it in. We fought so hard to get a clean screen (with the menu button as the exception) only to get another ui in it’s place. :frowning:

And maybe not have the account age indicator appear for people over 13?

Thanks!

edit: POTENTIALLY THE BEST IDEA: These account age things only display IF the parent restrictions have been enabled!

Another cool idea: If the parent restrictions are disabled and the account age is over 18, filters don’t exist for that player?

15 Likes

The age indicator should appear only for accounts with no verified email. For accounts with a verified email, the email should contain whether the account is under 13, and another email should be sent whenever the age is changed.

15 Likes

Those types of solutions work for your game, but not for something like Phantom Forces.

Simply moving it doesn’t seem to be the solution. Perhaps if it let the creator move it themselves, inside of a screengui that was z-index 11 and unremovable. You’d be forced to keep the button the same size and within the window, but you could move it wherever you want.

2 Likes

That’s what I suggested; letting us move it ourselves.

2 Likes

Oh whoops. It’s been a long day. Yeah your idea seems good.

2 Likes

Whoa there, watch the language.
You are gonna get yourself banned.

More questions:

• When will the functions be enabled? The wiki states they’re still disabled…
  • Can CanUsersChatAsync be ran in parallel when sending one-to-many chats? I recall executing FilterStringAsync for a chat message in parallel is discouraged, but what about CanUsersChatAsync?
1 Like

Currently CanUsersChatAsync will not yield, so this is not necessary. This will probably change in the future when more advanced in game chat privacy settings are available, but at that point a method for chat filtering may be added that will perform the work of both CanUsersChatAsync and FilterStringAsync (It will return an empty string if the two users can not chat).

2 Likes

The functions are enabled now and will work from the server. They just don’t work for all clients yet, hence the notice.

iOS and Xbox haven’t been updated yet and don’t have these methods available yet. Outdated clients will also report that they can’t chat, even if their account settings allow it.

Also note that when using Sart Server / Start Player, these methods will both return false for Player1, Player2, etc. which are treated like guests for now.

1 Like