Xbox Gamepass Exploit

Solved by jmargh, thank you.

So instead of being linked to your account they are linked to your Xbox Gamertag ?

If you linked your Xbox account to your ROBLOX one, wouldn’t they have the same userId?

I would assume so, but that seems to be the case in this report… I would also assume that they are linked to the ROBLOX account and not the Xbox one.

Oh I think he means buy a gamepass, link it to an Xbox account, then unlink and create a new ROBLOX account with Xbox? If it works, that’s a pretty big issue

I was unable to repro this, are there any additional details you can give?

Here were my steps…

1. Join a place with a game pass with gamertag linked to roblox account 1
  2. Buy the gamepass
  3. Leave the game
  4. Go to the settings screen
  5. Select the account option
  6. Unlink roblox account 1 from the gametag
  7. Get past engagement screen
  8. Select the option to Sign Up Using gamertag (this creates a new roblox account)
  9. Create a new roblox account (upon creation it is linked)
  10. Play the same game from step 1
  11. PlayerOwnsAsset returns false

This was done in a test place I made.

To answer the questions about linking…the userId will be the userId of whatever Roblox account is currently linked. The only thing that changes is the Player.Name property. We have to identify the user by their gamertag. So if a users gamertag is called MyGamerTag, their name in-game will always be MyGamerTag no matter what Roblox account they are linked to.

Here is a report I received:

And I also got a Twitter DM about it where he said he could keep making new accounts to do it.

Also I understand how the userId linking works but PlayerOwnsAsset used their Player model, not ID

OK, so I was able to repro it your game, but still couldn’t repro it in the place I made. However, the repro has a catch.

So I noticed that the 2nd Roblox account (who did not buy the elite game pass) sometimes got elite status and sometimes didn’t. So what I did was document what servers the account with the gamepass connected to. Then on the 2nd account did the same. Servers in which account 1 connected to, account 2 to got the elite status in the players list. Servers account 1 did not connect to, account 2 did not get the elite status.

So this seems like a caching issue. Are you doing any caching on the server and if so, do you store these by the users name? If the script is using the player.Name this will cause a problem since the player.Name will be their Xbox gamertag, not their Roblox account name.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.