A way to render shirts/pants/etc without a Humanoid

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to render clothing on a model that doesn’t contain a Humanoid object. This makes it more difficult to animate a character that doesn’t need any of the features of humanoids (doesn’t move, doesn’t need health, just needs clothing), as there are a few cases that need to be handled regarding the joint structure of the rig to keep the Humanoid alive.

17 Likes

This feature request would enable developers to snip and paste this Humanoid feature into custom characters that don’t use Humanoids.

2 Likes

You can disable movement & health bar display - is there a specific reason why you want to avoid using Humanoids?

Humanoids are used to change rendering behavior on parts to support clothing and some other things - we can’t just do it without a Humanoid object present, so if we were to implement this request we’d have to add another Humanoid-like object - which seems excessive if you can use, well, Humanoid…

2 Likes

If you set the state to Physics, there’s pretty much no overhead from Humanoids that a specific clothes-rendering object wouldn’t have.

11 Likes

I was mostly concerned about potential performance impacts/joint breaking cases from Humanoid death. All characters in my game don’t use Humanoids for anything but clothing, so I was just looking for a way to reduce any bug potential/overhead. @0xBAADF00D’s info pretty much turns Humanoids into what I was looking for so it’ll work.

You can also use humanoid:SetStateEnabled(Enum.HumanoidStateType.Died, false) to prevent other sources from unintentionally damaging and killing the humanoid (so joints are never broken).

3 Likes