Ability to actually delete your own assets

Hi there!

The recent meme issue about knuckles got me thinking. People are getting banned due to them uploading this
meme before it was announced to be banned from Roblox. As they can’t delete their own assets, they had no other way out than being banned, which I think is unfair.

Maybe allow everyone who uploads assets to delete them if they wanted or needed to?
With deleting I don’t mean removing it from your inventory. Deleting literally means removing it from your account and the site forever. It may be tracked, but once it’s deleted, the asset shouldn’t be subject to moderation if it’s actually not allowed unless it’s something outrageously bad. But I doubt that’ll happen on Roblox.

This could prevent accidental issues as described above.

Just a little quote for those who don’t want account-intruders to delete your assets:

47 Likes

that’s one good reason and example on why we need a Delete Asset feature .

But like hundreds of replies from several other similar feature requests say :
The account owner could simply and suddenly lose many if not all of his assets if the account gets ever hacked / somehow used/accessed by an other user !

I seriously still support the idea that we need to be able to Delete our own assets … but that wont be possible until any disadvantage and possible danger is “fixed”

3 Likes

This would also be great because sometimes I upload an asset, need to make a small change so upload it again. Would be great for removing clutter inside the inventory from basically the same asset being uploaded twice.

3 Likes

In that case, the account owner:

• Shouldn’t have shared or hinted their account information;
  • Should’ve enabled 2-step verification or any other protection;
  • Should’ve made backups locally so that they can re-upload if they can reach back to their hacked account;

I mean if you get hacked, there’s a 99% chance you won’t get everything back anyway. So it doesn’t matter whether the hacker decides to remove your assets or not, you can’t get them back one way or the other anyway. Unless it’s a “super smart” hacker who doesn’t know that your email adress is still functioning allowing you to reset the password and log everyone out lol.

7 Likes

This is a very good idea if in the backend, the files that are linked to it are also removed. It may be a small but noticable impact on storage on the Roblox servers. It’ll have less waste be stored there.

Support for sure.

2 Likes

Ive been genuinely hoping they added a feature like this for a while now. 100% support.

1 Like

I strongly support this suggestion, but I just find one unfortunate caveat with it.

Since Roblox’s userbase is primarily young children, the vast majority of them probably either won’t understand how to or even bother to set up precautionary actions to protect their account from hackers. And even if they did, a good percentage of them would give away that information relatively easily should the hacker request for their information in a fake robux giveaway website or something similar.

Also, while more mature developers understand why Roblox implemented this feature (if it’s implemented), the younger developers would probably continue to press against it, solely because they feel like they are right in every situation. In other words, younger developers may not care that they could have protected their account and saved local files, but will instead take their anger out on Roblox for adding such a feature.

I mean, personally, the former reason seems much more valid and much more serious than the latter, but both may be reasons why it might not be implemented.

Besides, other than deleting assets after a new ToS or new rule has been created to avoid moderation, there’s no real reason to actually delete your own assets (at least not one I can think of).

1 Like

Then make the children aware. Simply make a wiki article and maybe one of those ‘?’ icons with a little tooltip. If the children are made aware, then they can’t imply it’s Roblox’s fault.

Besides, I think that the kind of children you mentioned are a very small group of kids who are stubborn. I’m sure the majority of the Roblox userbase is smarter than we think, especially if they are a developer. There’s a difference between a person who games, and a person who makes games. No matter the age, if you know how a game or platform works behind the scenes, you know more than someone who is playing the game without that knowledge.

What I’m saying is, that the majority of the Roblox userbase is in fact playing the games rather than creating them, meaning they don’t exactly apply to this unless they decide to become a developer. And as they advance, they’ll gain experience and more knowledge, including things like “Protect your account, don’t delete items you need” etc. Mistakes are made, and can’t be avoided but can be educative & informative. Mistakes you make are your problem, not somebody else’s. So they can’t blame Roblox for something they did themselves.

Little off-topic

All the stuff on some newspapers where parents are crying at Roblox because ‘their child was in danger by random people’ is absolute nonsense. Roblox has a lot- in fact WAY too many ways to prevent that from happening. There’s chatfilters, there’s 2-step, they could fill in the email from the parent(s) so they can check the child’s profile every so often, etc. It’s the parents being too silly to let their child play unprotected.

There’s some main reasons why I think this should be a thing.

1. Accidental uploads; (e.g Missclicking, a friend who uploaded something, etc.)
  2. To clear up useless stuff, without leaving it in Roblox’s database; (Saves space)
  3. To prevent yourself from getting punished for something you weren’t made aware of up-front;
    (It’s a shame to recieve moderation history of something that was to be banned while the announcement is afterwards)
2 Likes

To prevent the whole hacker thing: deletions could more-so just be a way to flag an item for deletion (which can be unflagged), and the system will delete it after like a week or something.

5 Likes

See: https://devforum.roblox.com/t/deleting-uploaded-assets/81720

2 Likes

Accidental uploads rarely happen, if ever. I’ve been playing Roblox for 11 years (coming up on 12) and have been building for 8 years, and I have never accidentally uploaded something. Additionally, even if you did accidentally upload, it wouldn’t matter because you can just lock the asset.

If an announcement was made afterwards and bans are being handed out, then I’m 100% sure that the Roblox is aware of this (as they are with the knuckles policy) and will be dedicated to fixing any accidental bans made after the fact.

As for clearing up space, this seems like a relatively valid reason, however it doesn’t seem to be causing any real problems, mostly because in the Roblox studio, you can search by name for your assets.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Deleting Uploaded Assets