Option to Disable UI Editor

As a Roblox developer, specifically a programmer and UI designer, it has been made exceedingly difficult to create new UIs with this forced new feature regarding GUIs.

I understand it is to make UI creation easier and more user friendly for new developers, but as an advanced UI designer, it does nothing but create clutter and stand in my way of making new UIs.

It does not help me by displaying the number of pixels of padding between different frames, and it does not help me by displaying the size of the element I have selected. I already have the properties window open, and it is how I’ve always created UIs. For UI elements that are sized with scale, the AbsoluteSize X and Y dimensions shown, in my experience, are not helpful.

I am already accustomed to how it was before, and the obstructive overlaying dimensions do not positively contribute to my user experience. This feature should be optional.

122 Likes

Mm, this latest update has really caused problems :laughing:

I believe all new features should have a sensible, full disabling feature, similar to how the old UI editor used to work, as well as the Lua Debugger (which was problematic, but it could be disabled so /shrug).

As well as them simply causing issues, a lot of us like to customise our workspaces so we don’t need to see or use irrelevant features.

16 Likes

Here’s a way I tested, courtesy of @evaera, to temporarily disable the editor.

10 Likes

This is like if the base move, size and rotate tools were migrated to the transform tool. At least they gave us a choice then.

1 Like

I have not seen any Roblox acknowledgement on this, despite the overwhelming opinion being that this should not be something that is forced on developers. We have different workflows, and this is something that is popularly obstructive to our experiences.

The dimension elements overlap my interface and I accidentally drag frames around while working, both of which have thoroughly been discussed in several other threads, and none of which I have seen were acknowledged by any staff. I am unsure why this is being overlooked.

10 Likes

I seriously have to delete the UI editor plugin every time studio updates now wow…

7 Likes

I don’t mind the outlines. I certainly prefer them to the previous blue outline we saw. But the click and drag features are annoying and useless to me.

5 Likes

As a Roblox developer, it is currently tedious and difficult to work precisely with GUI elements because the UI Editor’s interface covers edges and in some cases the entire element. This means I have to spend a significant amount of time actively fighting the built-in UI editor’s interface, which is frustrating. An option to disable the editor would make it so I could just focus on designing my UI instead of time spent selecting and unselecting the UI.

In my current project, I am working with ImageLabels that are 16x16 pixels, and positioning them has proven to be extraordinarily annoying because the UI editor covers the entire element with its GUI:

I am also working with UI that is offset from other UI by a pixel amount. I don’t measure what that amount of before I start – which could be a flaw with my workflow – but doing it on the fly is slow and painful for the exact same reason.

To be blunt, it makes it very difficult to actually assess what the UI looks unless it’s large or nothing is selected. It’s annoying, and impedes my development workflow. I do not actually use the UI editor for any of my work because it is not precise enough, and I would like to be able to disable it because at the moment all it does is cause me frustration.

12 Likes

You can already disable the editor my friend. There’s a button to the top left that you press:

(FYI not my gif)

1 Like

I’m failing to see this, perhaps it is not fully rolled out yet. My studio just updated before taking this screenshot.

However, this still does not address the main issues myself, @Dekkonot, and other developers are experiencing. Based on the gif you’ve provided, disabling the UI editor merely prevents dragging and interaction with GUI instances. This was only half of what was said to be problematic.

There’s still a significantly larger selection border with the same squares from before intended to be dragged (despite the lack of functionality because it is disabled). This still impedes developer workflow because it’s intrusive and prevents the ability to see GUI instances in their entirety, unobstructed.

4 Likes

That gif was describing a glitch. From my experience it completely disables the editor.

Anyway, it seems they completely removed the enable/disable UI editor button from the quick access bar (for some horrible reason). I spent like 10 minutes looking for it and I was about to say I guess I was crazy and the button never existed, but it does.

To disable the UI editor, first click this little arrow icon:
4c4f4c9dd761d7417999bc601af897ab
A dropdown menu will show up. At the very bottom click “Customize.” Now you’ll see this window:
Find the UI Editor, click “Add,” then click “OK.” Voila!

(Outstanding photoshopping skills, I know)

Hopefully this will fix your issues.

7 Likes

The ability to disable the UI editor doesn’t work. It auto enables itself again after you select another GUI instance. I guess I’ll file a bug report for this and continue to delete the UI editor plugin file in the meantime.

https://gyazo.com/9dd4c7e0967c59053514ea87caa36d57.gif

Seems like they just don’t want us to disable it.

10 Likes

That’s unfortunate. I wonder if that’s a bug or just intended behavior?

Good luck

5 Likes

That’s intended behavior unfortunately. I would recommend filing it as a feature request rather than bug report, if you are going to file one.

7 Likes

Hate to necro this post but could you link to your bug report/feature request so I can help boost it? It’s been 8 months and this thing is still in my face making it harder to see what I’m doing instead of helping.

1 Like

This feature that nobody asked for still exists and gets in the way, please add an option to disable it!

Was a button made to disable the editor but then removed? I can’t see the button shown in the screenshots above

4 Likes

UI Editor is something that bugged me and annoyed my development when working with UI elements inside studio, having an option to disable the UI Editor would be fantastic and won’t have to see the clutter onto my UI creations.

^ Hasn’t bugged me too much but still made me mad. :angry:

There are no alternative ways and workarounds when trying to disable the UI Editor, I do remember a post/reply that showed a way to disable it through folders, could be outdated. Anywho, the Editor itself gets in the way of everything from the top and sides when selecting and scaling UI elements which isn’t a problem too much but still terrible for an experience.

Would love an option to disable this, and maybe to see live sizes/positions of UIs if a developer disables them?

3 Likes

I am once again asking that you allow us to disable the UI editor.

I’m currently trying to cycle through fonts to see which one would be best for a situation, and uh… I can’t see.

b3112dd946b405e732121a7ea8e8e3e011

The ability to see would be nice. Thank you in advance.

18 Likes

If you feel that you absolutely must disable the UI editor for some particular situation, you can rename the plugin that drives it in your Roblox install so that it won’t be loaded:

1 Like

That this is a well-known trick and is the only way to disable the UI editor makes me sad.

This must be repeated every single time Studio updates. This is a dirty workaround for a problem that is quite simply embarrassing at this point; there has been ample feedback about this since the UI editor first showed up in 2018 with extremely clear examples of this issue ruining the ability to work efficiently on small UI details.

At this point, asking for a way to disable the UI editor, or at least the yellow measurement overlay, feels like a joke. People no longer talk about this on the forum because they are jaded and just use stupid workarounds.

Developers have been struggling with this for two years because Roblox has not dedicated resources to making the UI editor smarter about placement of overlays, and/or has refused to add a toggle somewhere for the overlays. You can currently right click on UI to select UI layers; there could easily be a toggle in this same context menu, just like the “Align Dragged Objects” toggle in the same menu.

In fact, I’m skeptical people use the yellow measurement overlay often enough for them to be worth cluttering the viewport at all times since we mostly work with scale or UI constraints anyway. Maybe they should show up if you hover your mouse over the UI element while it is selected, or with some other context clue.

Other threads about this issue:

It’s also worth mentioning that this same “long-overdue UX improvement” problem also applies to the obstructive part selection box in Studio. Why are these things being ignored for years and years when they have been brought up many times, and are so obvious?

15 Likes