Access to game from external website

DISCLAIMER: Credits to @WooleyWool for creating this post originally on April the 3rd/2nd, I am reposting this to get a answer as the post remained un-replied to. I have only slightly edited this, so if anyone has a problem please reply KINDLY and I will delete this post :slight_smile: .

Hi, I’m trying to figure out a way to make it so data is transferred from the game to an outside server such as Heroku, personal website, wordpress website, etc. I’m new to coding Lua so it may be harder for me to understand what to do. However, I am willing to learn.

What I want to achieve:

• Ability to ban players in-game from the outside server
  • Ability to send messages from outside server to game

Thank you for reading and the help! :slight_smile:

I have already tried multiple times to find a post similar to what I want, but the above by WooleyWool was the most fitting, but unfortunately it didn’t get any replies (my luck is terrible huh).

I don’t believe you’re allowed to repost someone else’s thread. I think you should’ve probably just posted in the original thread asking if the user found a solution.

Aside from that, this question has so many resources behind it. I don’t really want to be the one to break the news to you but you really need to search your topic better.

In case you didn’t read the first part, here’s the gist:

Use HTTPService to send HTTP requests to external servers. To get data from an external source to the game, use a get request. (You will have to have a loop constantly getting a webpage or something if you want to get an updated stream of data). To send data, use a POST or PUT request.

1 Like

Hi dude, I’ve done this for my own group and even use my API to store user-data like cash and cars because it is more reliable than Roblox DB’s :joy:

I have never done this type of thing through Wordpress, I would maybe try and use something like a Trello Ban system for the external banning and you could probably also manipulate that same Trello board to send messages.

If you’ve got any more questions DM me on Discord ( SystematicMess#8797 ) or DM on the forum :slight_smile:

@SSSpencer413 Is correct about there being many topics already made about this (include mine linked by spencer), with internet searches further pushing your knowledge of this forward.

Here are some sites that will host/post/get your data:

• For key/value lists, like for bans and player data, use Google Sheets.
  • For closed-source code, use Github.
  • For posting large amounts of text for specific data grabs, use Pastebin.
  • For live datastores, use Google Firebase.
  • For bots, use glitch.
  • For Discord/Roblox communication, use the following together: glitch, Google Sheets, Discord API.
  • For Roblox API, use any external proxy.

@SystematicMess I would trust Roblox more than trello, because trello isn’t created for mass API calls. It’s possible you could get timeouts from either Roblox or trello from sending too many requests.

For a ban system, I would much rather use Google Sheets.

1 Like

Each to their own I guess. Trello is what I used in the past but I’ve now moved to a privately made system.

I am currently working on a bot on discord for communication across both, using Google spreadsheets. I am stuck on getting data from the spreadsheet.

But for your issue I would highly suggest going to this topic
Hope this helps! :grinning: