Allow a username to be used if the owner doesn't use it anymore

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to obtain names that were previously taken, but the owner has a different name. There are many usernames that I really like, but a lot of them are taken by people who once had that name but changed it to something else and don’t use it anymore, and so it can’t be used. Would this be conceivable/possible?

4 Likes

Probably not, because who gets to decide what “doesn’t use it anymore” means?

12 Likes

I’d love to use the username, “xuefei” but some kid took it and doesn’t play anymore.

2 Likes

I feel this could cause a number of issues, from impersonation to more opinion based things such as

3 Likes

I don’t mean just random accounts pre-2010 that have a cool username if that’s what you’re assuming, I mean accounts that don’t use the name anymore and have already changed it to something else.

I’m assuming both. People who spend the R$ 1k to change their name have it on their list of previous names, who is to say they were done using one of their old names?

1 Like

How about having an option when changing your name to ‘keep’ it as one of your names?

Names people don’t decide to keep won’t be shown when you hover over their name question mark thing, and can be used by others.

3 Likes

There are a number of existing threads suggesting this. You can use the search feature to find them e.g. allow username take. Here is the most recent:

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/request-taken-username/50069

2 Likes

Nonono, I mean names that HAVE been used, but the user has changed their name to something else.

There’s a reason why those usernames aren’t added back to the pool right now. We wouldn’t want someone nabbing treyrenolds or TylerMcBride even though AxisAngle and Polyhex aren’t using them anymore – that would cause a major issue with impersonation. There’s also the issue of how long we consider “unused” is: there have been multiple users even here on the forums that changed their username to something different and reverted back after a few months because they liked their old username.

3 Likes

I think this stuff exists because if a user gets banned you don’t want them just making a new account.

I have usernames saved under my profile because I like them. I do not want them taken. Especially if I have already paid 1k for them. I’d rather not have purchased content given away to random people.

No support here, sorry.

I wasn’t supporting the OP? I agree with you - if a username is taken, it’s taken.

I’d use a method that @EmeraldSlash has mention; no one would get hurt if they made sure to make the username a part of their past username.

2 Likes

As someone else mentioned, just include a checkbox whether you want to keep the name or not. So you can remove any of your names at any given time. No issues would be caused, especially if you keep it under the settings where you need the PIN to remove your names.

1 Like

Unlisted due to the topic of username ownership having multiple Feature Requests already.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.