Allow animations to be additive

Additive animation is a powerful feature showcased in other game development engines, but it is something that Roblox lacks. I’m here on behalf of many developers who would greatly benefit from this addition.

Additive animation differs from blended animation in the sense that two animations can directly add onto each other to combine into a new animation, rather than blended animation simply mixing the two into an interpolated one.

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

And another:

Hope to see this in Roblox!

145 Likes

Huge support for this. Tired of using my own clunky system for something that should be built in to Roblox.

29 Likes

Really hope this becomes something that ROBLOX developers can use in the future; it’d save a lot of time for scripters. and animators. Huge support.

14 Likes

I’m in favor of additive animations as well. I’m sick of my character floating in the air when I pull out my minigun and then begin crouching.

3 Likes

Still waiting for this so we can finally animate look angles without editing welds with c0 offsets on renderstepped.

5 Likes

This is a great featured, and I don’t think it would even be too hard for Roblox to implement (I might still be wrong)
I don’t understand why it’s not a thing yet

3 Likes

I built a custom animator that allows you to do that and makes your workflow easier.

@Professor_Boxtrot
@AkiraaDev
@Ax1sAng1e
@Beloathed
@Dede_4242

5 Likes

This is awesome! Unfortunately, teams such as my own animate is Blender or other private software which are critical to our workflows and products. Additive animations should be a default feature in Roblox to ensure that it does not create an intrusion into our existing workflow.

4 Likes

My animator can run any type of animation (bones support coming soon), actually blender animations are easier to control, blender builds all keyframes of all parts on export, but roblox doesn’t, I found out about this very late, a few weeks ago I had to redo my animator because of roblox… Roblox does not build all KeyFrames…

4 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the resource then.

ooh, I like it! it’s similar to the band-aid fix I made for my projects inspired from Unity but this looks to be a LOT more well-made.

I am actually really interested in this topic; however, I still do not completely understand.

Can this not be done in-engine already?

We’re already able to play multiple animations on a rig at once, is this not a form of additive animation? As you’re adding two animations together to create new movement?

Thanks!

1 Like

The engine currently supports blended animations, that’s multiplication and then addition. What this post wants is true additive animations. If I want the head of a character to rotate 90 degrees, but also for the head bobbing in the idle animation to remain, then I would need to add the head bobbing to my new animation as well, otherwise the head bobbing will disappear, or they’ll blend together and you’ll end up with a 45 degree head turn and an unenthusiastic head bob.

With additive animations, there are no animation priorities, no blending, and you can easily have a simple animation where the head is turned 90 degrees, and it’ll act like that’s part of the idle animation, thus your character’s head is turned 90 degrees and has the previously animated head bob.

4 Likes

I can explain it through a video. I’ll have to do it later.

1 Like