Allow MeshID's to be readable in studio / Remove 0.2 size restriction from MeshParts

There are currently two behaviors that make it nearly impossible to scale models comprised of MeshParts.

1. MeshID’s cannot be read in studio by any script or command bar

This behavior is most likely derived from locking the property to prevent from changing or reading the mesh ID in the middle of the game, which is reasonable in that case.

However, it does not serve any purpose by having the same behavior in studio when MeshParts are routinely created and have their meshIDs updated with new meshes so this behavior should be considered a bug and the restriction should be lifted.

1. MeshParts have a 0.2 part size restriction

This behavior is inconsistent with CSG objects which can be re-scaled freely below the arbitrary 0.2 scale limit. When considering the first bug in this post, this second behavior makes it impossible to scale objects that may have been imported at a slightly larger scale that happen to be barely above the 0.2 limit.

However, consider the alternative outcome: It is possible to import meshes below the 0.2 limit simply by having it scaled smaller beforehand in a third party 3D modeling software. Given this, the 0.2 scale limit on MeshParts should be considered a bug that can already be worked-around with but at a costly inefficient workflow. It should be completely reasonable to remove this arbitrary size limit to keep it consistent with CSG meshes.

[Developer Problem]

We have no option of converting MeshParts to FileMeshes systematically because we cannot read MeshIDs from scripts. At the same time we cannot scale the MeshParts themselves directly because of the annoying 0.2 part size restriction.

What is important to realize is that when we use MeshParts, we do not care about the actual collision of the box. We are aware that the 0.2 size limit exists for physical interactions between parts, but when developers use MeshParts, they are more often than not used purely for aesthetic purposes so the size limit does nothing but to impede progress.

In conclusion, we have two “bugs” in the current MeshPart behavior that prevent any sort of workaround to efficiently and systematically re-size multi-MeshPart models to any size we wish.

19 Likes

Yessss please. I really want to scale MeshParts below 0.2 so that I can apply roblox’s materials to my guns.

I support!
Also, your behavior 2. Is behavior 1. :slight_smile:

i raised these issues a few months ago and a few weeks ago.

as frustrating and arbitrary as these behaviors are, they are still apparently intentional. this belongs under client features, but I get where you’re coming from by calling them bugs–nobody wants or needs these restrictions

No they’re bugs.

Unions can be scaled below 0.2 and they’re pretty much the same thing as MeshParts aside from where they’re created. I don’t see how it makes sense for MeshParts to have a 0.2 scale limit – they both use the exact same physics.

4 Likes

i agree