Allow Part Materials To Be Applied To Terrain, and Terrain Materials to Be Applied To Parts

I’m not sure if this has been suggested before, but It’s something I’ve been thinking about.

There’s a lot of materials already for both parties, but I think being able to use cracked lava, sandstone, asphalt, or the leavy grass material on parts, and then having pebble or glass for smooth terrain would be a great addition.

Of course, the way the materials are handled might be different, but I still think it’d be pretty cool to construct terrain with part materials, or have parts made of lava without needing textures & setting the part material to neon.

14 Likes

Yeah, having parts with the water material would make working with terrain much easier. I’ve been wanting it for years!

5 Likes

How did I not think of that in the first place? :joy:

1 Like

This would also make creating terrain with parts more useful. I personally find part-based terrain to be easier to work with.

1 Like

tbh I think terrain needs an overhaul - voxels don’t have a high enough resolution and it would be easier to make “Parts” that act like different terrain containers and all voxels are rendered relative to that part placeholder. Basically, think mesh but instead of a mesh ID asset it would render the terrain. That’s basically what every other engine does I think

3 Likes

I agree.

Working with smooth terrain is honestly painful due to not having any proper terrain tools, or having terrain tools at the right size. SmoothTerrain overall just feels really limited, and it is, ironically enough, too smooth.

It’s also nearly impossible to get sharp edges on cliff sides which is honestly kinda sad because smooth terrain has the possibility of being great, but it’s fairly limited right now in my opinion.

1 Like

Agreed, though there are tricks to getting it to do what you want. I use Blender to model terrain, then import it as obj (old method using wedges) then I take the wedges and convert them to terrain. Right now I think that’s the best way to do it but it’s definately not optimal and smooth terrain could be so much more.

1 Like

I think if Roblox had brushes, or the ability to add your own brushes, would make it so much more usable and not just a simple quirk that some developers have somehow figured out how to master.

What I mean by brushes, is simple 32-bit images that act like heightmaps. Blender & UE4 have this feature and make modeling terrain so much easier and less-time consuming.

Currently, smooth terrain is either you generate prebuilt terrain, use hacky methods to get good terrain, or you spend hours sculpting terrain.

2 Likes

I could make a whole thread on how terrain could be so much better. Maybe I will :thinking:

1 Like

Please do.

Smooth Terrain tools need a serious upgrade. :stuck_out_tongue: