Alternatives to pathfinding service?

So I’m working on an AI-heavy game, basically a remake of that steam game Lunch Lady.

The map is quite large, so I need the assurance that the AI I implement will be able to travel from point A to point B consistently, with no dead paths whatsoever.

I’ve yet to try PathfindingService as the map is not done, but assuming it sucks, what other options do I have?

I thought of making custom nodes I can use, to define where it can and cannot move. However, I’m not sure what I’d do with that, logic-wise.

Thanks for any help.

2 Likes

I may not have an alternative to PathfindingService, but what I did was make it so after pathfinding, the NPC will just teleport to the wanted location, so if a path bugs, they’ll just teleport instead.

2 Likes

well, I never thought about doing that, but for what I’m going for I really can’t afford to go that route.

3 Likes

Before writing a custom implementation fit for your game, why not actually try pathfindingservice? Make a bunch of nodes in random places and then have your code select a random one and walk to it. Leave it running for a while and see if the path is blocked at any point, and where.

4 Likes

Yeah, and on top of this, you can use pathfinding modifiers if something is blocking the path, but isn’t truly in the way.

3 Likes