Android and iOS push notifications are here!

Hi everyone,

Quite a while ago, I introduced Chrome notifications and then more recently Firefox notifications. I’m back again to announce that mobile push notifications are live for Android! (With iOS following shortly!) – Edit: iOS is now out, yay!

To try out push notifications, just make sure you have the most up-to-date version of the ROBLOX app, and you should be good to go! (iOS will have a different process and I’ll update this post when it’s out.)

What types of notifications are available?
For this first release, we will send you a push notification when:

• You receive a friend request
  • Another user accepts your friend request
  • You receive a chat message (added 10/11)

More notifications will follow in the next release, including when:

• You receive a private message

Can we choose which notifications we want to receive?
Yes! Just like how you can customise desktop push notifications, you can customise mobile push notifications too! Just go to the Settings page, select the Privacy option in the dropdown menu, and go to the Mobile Push section. You should be able to select which notification types you want to receive and save your configuration.

I want x type of notification!
We are still adding new notification types and we are open to suggestions.

As usual, please let me know if you have any questions or feedback!

Caelestene.

17 Likes

YES! Thank you!

Sweet!

And now we wait for iOS :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Notifications Id like to see
Group shouts
Someone favoriting our place
Our name being mentioned on the websites (comments and forum posts and group walls)
New blog posts
When a game we are subscribed to is updated (would need to make a subscription to game feature)
When a place of ours reaches a milestone in visits (100, 1000, 5000 visits etc)
End of day revenue reporting
When we reach minimim threshold for devex

8 Likes

Looks great!

I wasn’t able to find my notification settings until I read your post, can they be put in their own category instead of being tucked away under privacy?

If I go my notification settings in a mobile browser (not in the app) the mobile push switch is off but I can turn it on - shouldn’t the switch be disabled?

2 Likes

pls

Re: another tab – unfortunately we can only fit four tabs in the settings page. I would love to have a separate tab for notifications, and I have fought for the five-tab dream, but they just don’t fit properly. I know on mobile it’s a dropdown, but we need to have a consistent experience across all our platforms.

Re: settings on a mobile browser – we are working on a fix for this right now. We won’t show the mobile push settings unless you’re in-app and on a compatible device.

Thanks for the feedback :grinning:

1 Like

Chat push notifications went out today for Android! Just update to the latest version of the app and you should start seeing them. iOS is still soon ™.

What about it would not be consistent? For clarification I’m not suggesting we have more tabs – I’m just curious what the consistency issue is because it’s not jumping out at me. Mobile would have a 5th entry in its dropdown as well, right? I also don’t see any UI issues with five tabs. Gif (click to play):

For now, we have made a design decision to limit the number of tabs we show to four. We may revisit this in the future, especially there are a lot of people accessing this tab to configure notifications.

Edit: the inconsistency would be mobile having five options in the dropdown but web having four tabs (as it is now).

3 Likes