Angular Velocity Constraint V.S. Rot Velocity... Wich one should I use?

Idk if this is the right topic. I have a simple question. Im working on a car chassis (Similar to jailbreak’s car chassis), and now I’m working on steering. I have seen the roblox jeep use rot-velocity in their code for steering, but i don’t know how good it is, as I have used angular velocity for certain things and I am quite satisfied with it. So you may… reply with your answer… or answer the poll.

• I should use rot velocity
  • I should use the angular velocity constraint

0 voters

1 Like

This is not a great use of polls … you don’t need to know which is more popular, you need to know the specific reasons that one is better than the other in your case. So yeah, we’ll need more info about the problem you’re trying to solve if you want a clear A is better than B type of answer. The best I can do is this:

If you set the RotVelocity of a part, you’ll be directly controlling how fast it rotates at any given point in time. If you use an AngularVelocity constraint, it will automatically apply a torque to the part. This is VERY different from setting the rotation velocity directly, because the torque can only make the part rotate “slowly”, over time. This will probably be more “realistic” / feel more like it’s a physics simulation controlling the vehicle, but you give up some control over how exactly the torque is applied. For slightly more control but more inconvenience, use a Torque constraint. For the most control, directly set the rotation by setting the CFrame.

1 Like