Annotate DataStore API Calls

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to track where my DataStore budgets are being consumed.

If my DataStore calls are being throttled or I think there’s excessive budget consumption, I have no simple way to diagnose where those calls are coming from; instead, I need to meticulously scan my codebase for API calls and guess how they affect my budgets. I can also write a wrapper library to implement profiling tools, but that doesn’t cover third-party libraries like the GameAnalytics SDK, and isn’t viable if I’m already using a wrapper library like Datastore2 or ProfileService.

If tools existed that, for example, let me annotate/tag my DataStore API calls, or even if the budgets menu in the console (F9) showed a stack trace and a clickable link to the call site like the output widget, I’d spend a lot less time guessing and combing through my entire codebase and more time investigating the identifiable problem code.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I could debug my DataStore usage more effectively & efficiently.

6 Likes