Answers to your recent questions regarding our DMCA policy

Asked via e-mail for some of my assets to be deleted on March 22.

Waited for several weeks. Assets not deleted.

Sent another e-mail, this time replying to the automated response afterwards, on April 16.

Still nothing for several weeks. Assets not deleted. Not even a human reply about why.

Posted this post to bug about the post that says I can get assets I posted deleted for copyright reasons.

My goodness! What’s going on?

I asked for some assets to be deleted since the very moment this e-mail address was introduced. I waited several weeks only to get told there was an issue and I had to resend the e-mail. Weeks goes by and I finally get another e-mail.

I wanted some assets deleted, not to fill a DMCA take down.
Some hours go before I get this e-mail…

I’ve been waiting for more than a month to get few assets removed, and it’s still no progress. We all get stressed over possibly getting ourselves terminated from the platform but you don’t even prioritize the removal requests? It’s very disappointing

I’m only saying the progress is slow and Roblox needs to put more effort into making it faster and better

3 Likes

I think that happened to me before. I don’t like how I email support and get something of a reply I did not even ask about. This happened a long time ago but it still does happen from time to time and something should be done about this.

1 Like

Can I get a response please?? It’s been 6 weeks since I sent the email go to get content removed. Still not removed. It’s been over 3 weeks that I’ve been seeking a response here with regards to this post. Nearly a month. Still no reponse. I’m sure if I posted on something like Unity forums or the likes of I’d have a response within days. How is this acceptable? I’m frustrated. I’ve put into this platform for over a decade and I can’t even find out what is happening with the platform and if I’m going to end up with a strike or not despite doing everything in my power to remove it??

1 Like

You shouldn’t get a strike unless you’re a repeat offender, and even if you do, you can counter the strike by pointing out that you made a removal request.

I have a feeling that re-reading the posts they put out about the new strike system might help. I’m not sure where this level of agitation comes from; it’s pretty clear that a company needs to send a DMCA before you can even get a strike, and that even if you get a strike, they will work with you to remove the content and to ensure it doesn’t happen again (you also cannot get a strike within 45 days of another one).

If you haven’t gotten a DMCA against the content you sent off to roblox by now, it’s unlikely that you will before they have the chance to remove it from the website, whenever that may be.

See this thread if you haven’t seen it yet: https://devforum.roblox.com/t/more-information-about-our-dmca-policy/255884

2 Likes

Is it considered a copyright infringement if someone copies an asset from my game without permission? And how can I report pirated stuff that an exploiter copped off my game?

2 Likes

Search for “Digital Millennium Copyright Act” in the Terms of Service.

2 Likes

Glad that sounds a lot more re-assuring.

2 Likes

We apologize for the delay in responding. It is taking us longer than anticipated to review all the requests we’ve received. While we work through the requests, please know we will not apply a strike to your account with respect to the asset you’ve asked us to remove. Thanks for your patience.

8 Likes

I hate how I got 2 strikes for trying to upload google maps pics, then I cropped the logo out and it worked…

One last strike and you’re out…

By the way, uploading Google maps imagery isn’t very clever, because 1) the images are still copyrighted by Google and 2) if someone recognizes the place, this could cause you problems as it would be akin to publicly disclosing one random John Doe’s address all out to the open (=doxxing).

2 Likes

From personal experience, this is not what happens.

Roblox decides if something falls under DMCA protection, or asset stealing procedure. There are no protections in place for someone just saying “I made this” in one of my games, and getting my place deleted and me getting a week ban without any fair appeal or chance to counter. From my own experience, this has happened 3 times for multiple people I’ve worked with. It’s unpredicable and totally opaque to how they make the decision.

It’s a double standard for big companies and content creators. It’s not fair on either people who get their stuff stolen (where Roblox is not adequately resourcing to support claims) or content creators (there is no chance to respond back to asset claims before moderation occurs) that only big IP holders / game creators get protections and safeguards against abuse whilst everyone else has neither.

I don’t really think this addresses IP stealing at all. It’s a way for big companies to stop their content being reuploaded verbatim - but the majority of disputes come from other developers.

I don’t think this is what my post is about. Did you mean to reply to someone else? My post is about how Roblox would work with you after you have gotten a strike, not at all about content/IP stealing between developers on the platform.

1 Like

Mhm
They should have a refresher every year.

Meh. This is partially accurate.

There isn’t any PII issue with using maps data. Copyright should be negotiated with Google or DigitalGlobe, but in general you should be ok from reading their ToS.

https://www.google.com/permissions/geoguidelines/

Yes, whoops. Mobile discourse has its issues.

1 Like

2 off-topic posts were merged out

This new button is possibly a move forward towards providing us with the ability to “Delete Assets”?

(not entirely sure what it does but I’m excited to see it’s function)

Has anyone gotten an Email reply from ipcontent_removal_request@roblox.com yet?

I haven’t and I’m not sure if the Assets I requested are removed or not.

3 Likes
2 Likes