Anyone up for an unofficial Roblox game jam?

gamejam icon

Game jams are fun.

I’m trying to recruit people for a game jam.
I want to host one, but only if enough people are interested.

It would last a week.
March 15th (Sunday) to March 21st (Saturday)

There would be a theme and limitation decided by popular vote.

The winner would also be decided by popular vote.
(Though I would reserve the right to disqualify people)

Who’s interested?

• I would be interested in joining

0 voters

Join this Discord if you’re interested:

Payment?

Since game jams are contests, Roblox’s policy forbids me from saying there will be a prize.

On a totally unrelated note, I’m also looking to buy a sophisticated work of modern art.
As luck would have it, a Game Jam would be the perfect place to find someone with enough skill and talent to meet my modern art standards! Only looking to spend about 1000 Robux.

Does this post belong here?

Since this is a somewhat unusual post, here’s what the About the Recruitment category post says about the #collaboration:recruitment section of the forums:

“This category is where developers can post job offers for long-term partnerships or short-term contract work for the development of their projects, and where other developers can find work opportunities.”

A game jam is an opportunity for developers to work and collaborate with the community, with the ultimate goal of improving themselves.

12 Likes

Mind explaining more about this like what will we have to do and all also explain what a game jam is cause I really don’t know.

2 Likes

Yes, I should have explained more for those who are new to the idea of game jams.
Basically, you’re challenged to create a game with a specific restriction, theme and time limit.

One of my favorite places to find game jams is on itch.io but it would be cool to have this on Roblox.
Game jams - itch.io

I don’t even think about his belongs here.

1000 ROBUX for a game jam? Or 1000 dollars worth of ROBUX? The $ confuses me.

1 Like

removed dollar sign to fix any potential confusion
That was definitely a mistake on my end, thanks for warning me.
Fixed within seconds of posting

1 Like

Will music be allowed in this jam?

Yes, so long as it is still a game.
Also, PM me for small questions.

1 Like

This sounds super fun! Great opportunity for all developers.

2 Likes

This is honestly really convenient soon as unfortunately RDC EU got cancelled again… :pensive:

4 Likes

I would love to help you but I am busing myself with commissions. Good luck to the future development of this creation!

1 Like

I have participated in many unofficial game jam before and it is super fun. You learn something new from gamejam.

My only recommendation is to reduce the time limit of game jam, 1 week is too long. I am not saying it is enough to make a functional game but maybe try to lower the time limit. I have participated in game jams with only 24 hour limit, so what I have observed is, less time limit = more challenge and fun.

Other than that I am interested in this game jam.

1 Like

This is really dependent on the host of the unofficial game jam, as they might not have big amounts of funds to just give away, personally, it’s the experience that is the reward since a lot of people will have a somewhat functioning game, that they can build on and maybe release it. Yes a prize may not be huge it is still better than nothing, and participation is optional.

4 Likes

This isn’t an official event, It’s just for fun to “occupy” people who can’t attend the RDC EU (because it was cancelled) A prize shouldn’t even be necessary, people compete in these type of jams for fun, not because of the awards.

4 Likes

I’ve participated in a number of unofficial Roblox game jams, and almost always, the resulting participation has been disappointing. You really need to publicize such an event to an extreme and make sure you have a lot of noted participants, because generally 90% or so of the participating members will not produce any judge-able results in the allotted time.

2 Likes

I don’t find game jams fun (talking about long 1 week ones), I find them more time consuming and sometimes even stressful (if putting all your free time in development for 1 week straight isn’t, then I don’t know what is). RDC EU is an actual fun game jam, you meet random people selected irl and cooperate with each other, and the period of time is pretty short. Virtually it isn’t anything too exciting.

I’m interested this seems like a great idea for many developers to improve their skills. If you ever go through with this message me!

1 Like

@Fluffmiceter
I agree.
I don’t want to do this if there isn’t enough participation.
@EatSleepCodeRepeat
The reason I made the length of the game jam so long is to reduce stress.
You’re not being forced to develop your game 12 hours a day or anything.
@FastAsFlash_Dev
Thanks for the suggestion! I will consider having a vote on the discord channel to decide a better length of time.

Sounds awesome! I thought about this idea for a while.

1 Like

Very funny and interesting idea, game jams are fun and good for learning new stuff, am totally up for it!

1 Like

I do like the idea of a gamejam, but what if there isn’t enough people to join the jam when it officially starts? How would you go about in this certain situation.