Argon - VS Code sync [Plugin]

Same here. It’s the reason why rojo is so great.

Argon 0.5.0

Changes:

• Added property sync
  • Added start debugging option
  • Added auto open Roblox option
  • Added JSON schema for .properties file
  • Changed StarterPlayer services name inside VSC
  • “directory” is not longer required in .argon.json
  • Fixed open in editor option not working after playtest
  • Fixed destroying non script instances not working

Property syncing (Roblox to VSC):

Property syncing (VSC to Roblox):

New debugging option:

Tomorrow I will release update 0.5.1 with some changes and fixes as I’m sleepy as hell rn.

Please guys don’t be so rude for each other. As I said in my main post Argon is an alternative for Rojo not its replacement. Also I decided to support Rojo namespace (init, meta files), but this will be 100% optional (changeable in settings) to not affect performance (in version 0.6.0).

2 Likes

"No comment"

It’s insane how much you’ve put into it. This update is rocking already! Instead of sleeping you just made something that helps people a lot! Thank you once again!

Sorry for the earlier posts by the way. I apologize from everybody.

I think it’s worth noting here that tooling is pretty much almost the only reason people use Rojo- wally, stylua, selene, roblox-ts, run-in-roblox all are pretty niche extensions that probably won’t get support from Argon (that’s a… massive amount of work and likely impossible for things like stylua or roblox-ts, which literally requires cli flags for production-ready games), but I do think that Argon is nice for beginners.

1 Like

Sorry to break your sleep, you may work on this issue after you have taken enough rest. Please don’t push yourself.

This might be an issue on my end, but I’d still like to let others know about this.

Bug: After v0.5.0 has been released, it takes about 7-12 seconds to update each item and sometimes it goes up to more than 25 seconds. There is an extra debugging option named as "Argon: Start Debugging"

This just pulls up the default debugging method in VSC. Updating the settings takes huge amount of time to actually update. That’s all I could find for right now.

That’s not good can you reproduce it or it’s random? I don’t have this issue so I need some extra info.

Yep I know, this command is required so you can bind it to whatever button you want. It works exactly the same as this:

That’s because it’s bound to the same button as default VSC’s debugging. Tho if you don’t have any lua debugger it should work properly.

Same as before I need extra info to fix that as I can’t reproduce any of these errors.

That’s really weird. Maybe try reinstalling extension? If it won’t help you can use previous version temporally.

1 Like

This might be an issue on my end then. Though, here’s a video:

1 Like

Argon 0.5.1

Changes:

• Fixed StarterPlayer services not porting
  • Fixed open in editor option not working properly
  • Fixed .properties file behavior when porting to Roblox
  • Fixed properties of main services e.g. Workspace not syncing when only code mode was disabled
  • Fixed --disable flag inside scripts not working when porting to VSC
  • Argon now ignores and does not create empty .properties files
  • Lua files inside root folder no longer yield whole code
  • Local API dump no longer contains empty arrays
  • Removed memory leak inside C++ file
  • Other small fixes

Quick demo:

@AridTheDev everything should be working just fine now so try it out!

Note!

Some of the properties may not sync as intended as there are hundreds of different value types and I wasn’t been able to test all of them so if you get any errors related to syncing properties let me know!

1 Like

Dang, that’s a lot of fixes in just 1 day. You really bumped up your developing speed, didn’t you?

Literally, it’s now smoother than before!

Is Argon ready for production games yet? I don’t want to use something isn’t stable that might break my game.

Yes and no.

Yes: Argon is reliable in most cases to sync, port instances to both studios and filtering.

No: As for right now, the chances of no is pretty much 5-10%. Argon is still in development stage, but the daily responses from the developer keeps it to a stable stage. As for right now, the bugs that may occur are syncing issues, porting issues or file checking issues from VSC to Roblox which causes the plugin to create extra folders.

But at the moment of v0.5.0 as the current version, I haven’t come across any issues. So, I will say it is 85% on an average that it is ready for production games as I’m getting the best possible services from Argon.

1 Like

@AridTheDev’s reply is pretty accurate.

Though for now I would say NO.

That’s because Argon was not tested in every scenario or is some edge cases. I’m not able to test these things alone, that’s why your feedback is so important! For now I think property syncing and two-way sync are most unreliable features.

So as long as Argon extension has flag “preview” (on VSC marketplace) you should not use that for game production!

not sure if this is reported or intended. my local scripts with children that are not scripts, frames etc, do not populate code in vscode when importing the roblox place to vscode.

Do you have only code mode on? Can you send a picture?

1 Like

Turning that setting off fixed it, although I would expect to see the code regardless if a script has non script instances under it. Thank you!

1 Like

Can reproduce it, that’s definitely a bug! Gonna fix that in update 0.5.2 (probably released today).

2 Likes

I appreciate that this plugin is lightweight, is there any plans to integrate roblox LSP as well? I think the one thing stopping me from using this in production is that there’s no intellisense with the games directory and requiring modules in VS code. It’s unintuitive to develop with type any on modules

…Yeah!

It will be released in the next major update 0.6.0 or 0.7.0.

EDIT: I meant to reply to @0MRob but somehow I replied to myself.

1 Like

Ah I missed that discussion, thank you!

Alright, I’ll probably use this in an unstable environment then in production, so it doesn’t mess anything up important.