Asset Manager: double-clicking to open a folder is bad UX

As a developer it is hard to swiftly navigate my assets because the top-level folders in Asset Manager require a double-click to enter.

Affects these buttons:

There is no value to not entering the folder on the first click, there are no secondary actions to perform with a single click. The folder should open on first click.

Curiously, the Explorer Overlay gets it right.

If Roblox is able to address this issue it would improve top-level folder traversal UX.

2 Likes

I kind of disagree. The explorer and the asset manager behave differently in the sense that the former is a nested structure while the latter is a traditional OS file explorer. I guess when I see a folder icon like that, my computer instincts kick in and I always double click. If they suddenly remove this, then I’d accidentally double click and perhaps click the buttons underneath when I didn’t intented to. Now when I get used to a feature which finally gets reverted, then that’s UX IMO. The behavior has really been engrained in me, both from navigating OS files and the asset manager’s current behavior.

I guess an ideal compromise would be to add a setting to toggle double click for navigating the asset manager (which is of course on by default).

4 Likes

I’m giving my experience here as an Asset Manager user for the first time in a while, and I’ve also spent all my life on “traditional OS file explorers”. Studio team can do the analysis on which UX makes the most sense. It is hard to see this issue unless you actually go through the flow yourself without bias to test it, so this is pointless to have a long discussion about because forum discussion is not the same as actually hitting the bad UX in practice.

Not at all, settings introduce engineering complexity because they need to maintain all sorts of behavior. This is definitely not ideal to me as a developer because I want engineering to be able to move quickly to solve other open issues and requests.

Please open another topic if you want to discuss the latter point further.