Assistance Needed: Distance affecting Atmospheric Lighting

Hey! I’ll get str8 to the point:

I’ve been building a showcase intermittently for the past 2 months, pretty excited that it’s about done. Here’s the problem - since the foundation of the ceiling, there’s been some disorganized juxtapositional lighting.

Here’s what it looks like in-game:

(ground level viewing without free-cam)

Expected results:

(heightened viewing with free-cam)

I’m pretty incompetent when it comes to lighting, I’d appreciate any help to stop the juxtapositional lighting while the player’s at ground level.

You can witness the problem yourself here

Thank you!

1 Like

Excellent showcase! So i viewed it on mobile cuz im not at computer and it actually looks even more blue than what u show. Are these point lights or surface lights or beams? How is it that they show up as having a shape, im honestly a bit stumped.

Hey, thanks! Sorry about the day-late reply;

The dome mostly consists of PointLights, although there are some SpotLights & SurfaceLights spread around. The entire showcase does not have any beams.

1 Like

I have never seen lights do that before, but my only suggestion would be to try putting the point light instances into an attachment in the part rather than in the part directly… then move the attachment just a bit outward into the dome, not much but just enough so they dont juxtapose. I am not sure if this will work its just an idea.

Ok i tried on computer and i dont see any such blue like i did on mobile, so im guessing its a graphics quality level since it appears on mobile and not computer… maybe try to raise your studio or game graphic quality level.

Sadly, they are already in an attachment :>

Oh! and - yes, this is somehow the case, but the screenshots I took were all with 10 graphics. If you walk around enough, it’ll happen. That’s what I’ve seen, at least.

1 Like

I see… i have read of some people having particle emitter issues when placed in attachments but never point light. It might be worth a try to parent them to a part instead of an attachment just to see if it helps, but its just an idea.

Hi there helsa!

Great question! Short answer is that shadows and lighting only render to a specific distance, and beyond that limit it is (as you can see through play mode) simplified. This is for performance primarily.

A fix for this is to bring the height of your ceiling lower towards the ground, or to raise the ground closer to the ceiling. Either way, the player needs to be closer to the physical objects to render in those shadows you are looking for.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Hi, Jenny!! Thanks for replying.

Seems that the most inherent answer was indeed, the answer after all. It’s a little sad that, that’s one of my last resorts. It’s like cutting a tree short from the trunk just to gain quicker access to the branches, it certainly works; but affects different variables all around.

Sorry for the late reply, I’m a big procrastinator…! - Thanks again!

1 Like

Totally understand the frustration here. This is something roblox is actively working to improve. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see an update of the rendering distance of this in the future.

1 Like