Audio search preview for the toolbox plays two tracks at the same time

When I search for audio tracks through the toolbox (the only way short of specific API endpoints you can find songs with a certain query, author, and length range at the same time)

I’ve often found that there are artifacts in the playback when previewing a sound through here:
The artifacts sound like the ones you would hear if a track were artifically stretched out/had some kind of phase sync issues.

It turns out this is because the playback is playing tracks twice at the same time! If you click on the info dialog, you will see a prompt to play the track from the beginning, solo, and these artifacts won’t be present.

Because the expandable info menu restarts the whole track from the beginning, if you exit that menu, and try to preview that track from the main toolbox list dialog again, you’ll have two tracks playing at once (one from the beginning of the track, I’d presume is controlled by whatever Roact component controls that preview menu, and a second resuming the track from where you left off). This sounds really jarring.

Seems to be some kind of state management issue; I haven’t looked into the toolbox code at all, nor do I want to. But this search feature is awfully convenient, and it’s annoying to have to manually insert a track as an instance, adjust its volume, and delete it afterwards just to preview a track when searching for audio.

5 Likes

Acknowledged. Thank you for bringing this up!

4 Likes

I would like to share that this bug is still present 2 months later.

Steps to reproduce:
-(When I join studio my sound is always at 0 so I have to play and change the sound setting in the ESCAPE menu)
-Play an audio from the toolbox;
-Pause the audio;
-Play it again.

Now the audio will be playing twice! One from the start and the second will continue from when it was last paused.

Bonus issue: If you switch from inventory to marketplace or vice versa while an audio is playing, it does not stop. If you then go back to the original tab, it will be showing models and you have to change the view to audio from the dropdown menu for it to stop.

4 Likes