Ability to ban players in-engine on several levels of severity

I don’t know anything about this subject in particular, but I feel like any value provided to software by the operating system is susceptible to spoofing and alterations. Even if it’s based on hardware, it’s still little more than a variable in software.

3 Likes

There’s no point to this feature, even if only certain developers had it, it actually gives more power to those malicious users you want to ban.

We wouldn’t want someone messing up and banning their player base, or to have a security flaw that allows such. A way of fixing that would be only making this api available for certain players.

But IP banning, and HWID banning both don’t work.
If someone is so malicious that you need them unable to play at all, they probably know they can get around IP bans with a simple, even free VPN. As for HWID, they can just play on another pc, or alter the HWID roblox sees (Not too tech savvy, but I assume that’s possible?).

Then there’s the issue of shard computers, shared networks, etc.
Imagine someone goes to my school, plays Jailbreak, and gets “internet banned” or “IP banned”. Now, no one can ever use the school wifi to play that game again (or until specified time runs out).

Do you see where I’m going with this? If a user knows his actions can get him ip banned, he can cause even more harm by making other players unable to play.

Best way is just have a report system in game and ban the user. Allow players to mute/ignore other players, and that way malicious players can’t do much.

TL;DR: This is an ineffective method of banning, and could actually give malicious users more power. An in-game report system is the best we’ve got right now.

2 Likes

another thing that could be added is a “appeal” button where users can click it write a message and it will send it to the creator under some new category under messages.

2 Likes

To stop the free models thing you could have this service only avalible to beta members here on the fourm, if that service was called and the owner of the game/group was not in the beta group it would send out an error with like. “Creator of game/group is not a beta member, ban request failed.”

2 Likes

Beta is always meant to temporarily test things, never for permanent features that remain unavailable to others.

3 Likes

there is one actually… 200 player servers.

1 Like

‘yet’

i guess but then how would you stop the free model ban everyone scripts.

1 Like

Exactly. The feature request has not matured enough to be implemented as it has way too many complications. If you want it supported then that is for you to solve and us to put to the test.

I’m all for this!! I love using creativity to make my own ban systems but it’s a big chore sometimes and this would definitely make it a lot easier whereas I can focus more on the important parts of my game!

6 Likes

This is exactly what we need. There are nerds that somehow can exploit pass FE games by hijacking events. Its really up to the developer to secure that so exploiters can’t abuse, but we should be able to IP ban those basement dwellers who still bypass Roblox and the developers security.

16 Likes

Bumping this for more exposure.

4 Likes

The only thing I can sorta agree with on this thread is IPs - I don’t think we should have built in banning, however there’s not many ways to fingerprint devices (although it’s still possible :wink: ) so I’d propose something as simple as having a Fingerprint property of players which would literally just be a SHA-256 (or even SHA-512 if it’s really that big of an issue) encrypted version of the user’s IP (or other identifying feature).

It wouldn’t just be useful for bans, it would also be useful for analytics, in-game features, and more.

5 Likes

Why do you think we should have IP bans and not HWID bans, and why do you think we shouldn’t have built in banning? I’d just like to know your opinion.

HWID banning would be difficult for cross platform and I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t even be allowed on the Windows store.

As for a built in banning system, from what I’ve seen ROBLOX does not endorse banning users from your game.

3 Likes

Any potential updates to this feature request?

Sounds like something that could come in handy!

1 Like

Do you have anything to add on since the initial post?

Well, one way I think this potential service could be improved, is to have another perimeter called “BanServiceGUI” which would link to a ScreenGui the developer sets. It would still be interactable by the player who was banned, so they could potentially send an appeals request to the developer of the game, or something else, whatever the developer chose to have as said ban UI.

8 Likes

This is a quite old post but deserves to be revived. I would really appreciate this feature, I believe many more people would. It could be extremely useful when it comes to hackers that just exploit your games, or maybe for other reasons.

1 Like

IP bans, HWID bans and MAC address bans are nearly useless.
HWID and MAC bans are automatically bypassed by exploit programs.

HWID and MAC bans can be bypassed with \/ (Some exploits do this automatically)

Also IP bans can be bypassed via \/

And MAC bans can be bypassed via \/

or

3 Likes