Ability to ban players in-engine on several levels of severity

The owner of the game should then unban everyone if he knows a lot of false positives occured. Roblox could also make a limit to how long we can ban someone for if that really is a problem.

@AlgyLacey the report system does work, but when the trolling isn’t as prominent, or it involves actions and not words then it rarely works. In my case, the person/people who werre harassing me were threatening to leak my game and were joining it and actually stealing the map and some of the scripts. I emailed Roblox and I don’t remember exactly what I was told, but nothing happened to the exploiter because they weren’t being obvious about it on Roblox and even though I provided proof and messages of them leaking my map they probably didn’t do anything since it was uploaded outside of Roblox. If there was an IP or HWID ban system, I could just ban them from my games and they would have a much harder time trying to steal it.

3 Likes

Hackers with enough knowledge to steal a game will be able to avoid the IP ban, or they will just use a different computer to steal the game. You can’t track someone who joins the game once on a different computer and an alt account; they’ll steal your game and can do whatever they want and you won’t know a thing about it.

We should rather be talking about how to stop them stealing the game in the first place, although this is nearly impossible since a the geometry and local scripts must be downloaded to the client anyway so they can play the game.

3 Likes

If the report system did work then all the discord links I have spam reported would be deleted by now.

6 Likes

Obviously, I’m not saying that it would prevent them from doing it, but it would make it much harder to do if I banned them at the right moment since most exploits are also tied to HWID.

3 Likes

“discord likes”? Could you clarify that for me? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Auto correct, should be links

2 Likes

The issue here is that someone could exploit every single server they join, every single day, admit it in the server chat, being reported dozens of times, and at the end of the day still won’t be moderated. The report abuse button doesn’t help game developers defeat cheaters.

I’m not saying that I support or do not support the topic here, but as far as combatting cheaters, we can not rely on Roblox for any assistance.

11 Likes

inb4 right as source is shared, gets banned

1 Like

maybe even a internet ban all together.

2 Likes

I agree that we should have an official BanService to ban players permanently or for a set of days.

Everyone needs it, why not make it an official feature?

6 Likes

I can only begin to imagine the repercussions a feature like this could have.

5 Likes

Hackers being forced to create a new account for every failed hacking attempt?
OHHH THE HORRORS!!

6 Likes

No, admin commands creators having absolute power over whether or not a player can enter a game

Correction, any free model.

11 Likes

Ahh ye I see what u mean… That’d be pretty bad… :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Simple fix, make the ban service per place only like data store.

1 Like

We don’t really have a lot of freedom on Roblox, we’re restricted to what Roblox gives us. I feel like Roblox should break those restrictions and give us the freedom for everything in terms with developing and Roblox Studio.

I understand that banning is definitely harsh and it’s something you shouldn’t do unless there’s no alternative and the player just continues. My point is, we shouldn’t be locked into what Roblox gives us. There are things on Roblox that are impossible to do because Roblox hasn’t given us that power. Examples are, ability to edit the top bar, ability to edit any core script or core gui, anything. Ability to access everything is what I am saying. We should be able to write our own code as well into those restricted areas. I don’t think a banning service will happen because I’m assuming Roblox doesn’t want us banning players. Having that freedom gives us endless opportunities to make a better game, nothing is impossible to do then.

Creators might ban players, sure thats their game, they’re allowed to do what they would like to do. I’m sure if a popular game starts having false positives then the creator will fix that immediately. If a creator does something unreasonable, it’s better to educate that person to why that isn’t a good idea. What I’m saying is, we need that freedom to do what we want to do in our own game. That’s all I’m going to say

8 Likes

DataStore:SetAsync(“This”, true) will work in any place.

Just the same as BanService:Ban(12345, 9999999, true).

Imagine if the most popular admin script was hacked and updated to automatically ban players. This would instantly cause thousands of players to be banned from games across Roblox. Smaller developers would find it very hard to unban all the players which were banned from their games, effectively killing multiple games.

2 Likes

Nevermind, I realised what you meant. Anyway, that’s already possible and is/was happening with some admin commands.

1 Like

While I agree that some things should be more editable or easily changed, I do not believe that this applies to a Ban Service.

Just like the top bar, (which can be removed and replaced with a custom version if the developer prefers.) any developer can create a ban system of their own.

I’ve said a lot on this topic already, and I don’t think I can say anything more which is useful.

I stand by what I said that the possibility of this being abused far outweighs the pros.

1 Like

Yeah a ban system is possible. I mean things like ip addresses, hardware address, etc which are not possible. Even dropping the player’s connection before they connect to a server isn’t possible (having initial scripts that the player will load before connecting to a server)

Lets make an example, Windows. When you use a Windows machine, you have a lot of power. You could for example, go into the file system and delete something. My point is, you won’t unless you know what you’re doing but having that access gives you possibilities to opportunities.

4 Likes