Better Chat V3 | Feature-rich custom chat with replies, rich text, message editing, and more!

Sir you’re the best, you don’t know how broken Roblox chat is. You’re gonna make me cry :smiling_face_with_tear:. Why are you doing this for us? I never knew anyone more sympathetic than you. Roblox would never have a better chat so whats this all about? Its a better version

5 Likes

What would this do? Like force them to stay in this one channel?

Would this force the client to switch channels?

Status Update

working on the hd admin support, may take a few hours but it’ll be amazing

4 Likes

Amazing resource! I’ll use this for sure. I donated too :smiley:

3 Likes

Spectacular! :clap: :clap: :clap:

(30caract)

2 Likes

Hi, I have a question. Is there an option to allow the default rich text formatting for colors rather than the new one you implemented? I already got used to the other one and it feels weird to use this color system and I couldn’t find any way to change it…

Also, support for color formatting in chat tags?..

EDIT: Added! Pog

3 Likes

good work, u should make a plugin to auto-install this on games (because im kinda lazy to install it myself every time)

2 Likes

Update 1.0.1

• Created HD Admin Support addon: HD Admin Support - Roblox
  • Made tags stack with ranks instead of applying to the highest one
  • Allow markdown to be used in tags for cool effects
  • Made some internal modifications to the autofill

HD admin support:
(only shows commands you have access to and updates w custom commands)

not even sponsored lmao I just really like hd admin

Todo:

• Lazy load messages to prevent resource nomming and faster performance when reloading messages

Note:

• Going to bed right now, good night!
7 Likes

Yo @ForeverHD check this out :smiley:

5 Likes

I assumed this was created with the recent Chat API, but really surprised when I saw it wasn’t! Incredible work, although I bet there was a slight annoyance when you saw the new Chat API released, considering all the extra work you had to originally go through haha!

The capabilities look awesome, and once it’s updated to the newest Chat API, I’ll likely add it to my very small list of libraries I use for my projects!

3 Likes

Yeah, lock in channel locks ability to change channel (hide other channels in UI if possible), about setChannel I think I meant addChannel (this more useful) but setChannel is not bad too, I just think it will be rarely used. I used this thing in one of my projects (that I didn’t release), but I was need to mute speaker in main channel, joinChannel, setChannel, rewrite ChatUI module on client in order to disable ability to change channels. I hope you can make it more smooth than process that I described with default chat api

3 Likes

Does these settings save in that game or are they just temporary (until you leave)? It would be amazing if they were persistent!

2 Likes

awesome i would use it looks very promising to use

2 Likes

Slight is an understatement

They are indeed persistent!

5 Likes

A suggestion that would completely sell this for me to use in my upcoming games would be the ability to set the chatbox to a certain corner of the screen.

At the moment from what I’ve noticed, it’s glued to the top left corner. In my game I have that space occupied by certain UI features, and it would be a blessing if I could move it in the bottom left corner. I’m sorry if this is already doable and I was just too dense to notice the setting though! :smiling_face_with_tear:

EDIT: Same with the settings button! At the moment it’s forever placed next to the ROBLOX Menu / Topbar, it’d be lovely if I could set those positions myself.

pic2

4 Likes

Love this idea! Will probably implement this.

So, it is doable but it’s complicated and I might expose controls for it through the client API

I believe this function on the button will do it, but there’s no easy way to get the button’s access unless you know how to use Topbar+ effectively

And you can also just disable the button in the config module & use /settings (or /s) to open the menu.

Edit on what I’m working on:

And, for resizing I don’t know what to do with the button. When it’s locked in the bottom right, it’s inconvenient to use and messes up the math. Would I add like it to the top right of the chat so you can pull accordingly or?

4 Likes

That is basically how FFXIV does it. In that game you can move your chat wherever you so wish, but if it’s docked to the bottom side of the screen the “corner” to resize it is moved to the top of the chat, and if it’s docked to the top side, the “resize corner” is moved to the bottom of the chatbox.

Disabling the settings menu is probably what I’m going to opt for as the settings themselves aren’t necessary for my type of game. Though, exposing a :Toggle() function for the Settings UI would solve my problems, or giving developers the ability to edit settings of the chat themselves through API and have them create their own UI.

3 Likes

Alright, I think I can do that it might just take me a few hours to make sure they all work seamlessly, look clean, and even better if it can transition in-game.

Love this! May also expose controls for those.

Something like :GetSettings() → {[“TextSize”] = {
value = 16,
type = “number”,
limits = {10,20}
set = function
changed = event
}, … } ?

So like

local textSize = api:GetSettings()["TextSize"]
-- or api:GetSetting("TextSize")
textSize:set(12)

Would that work for your use case? And I’ll definitely allow the menu itself to be disabled.

And for the client API I may have it be like

local api = require(game:GetService("ReplicatedStorage"):WaitForChild("BetterChatApiReference").Value)
-- or return function(api) for the addons plugin
3 Likes

i’m pretty sure you can already do this by getting the mainmodule, moving the actual chat gui over to where you want it to be, and then in the topbarplus script just make it that it moves the icon to a different place (you can check the official topbarplus docs for that i think?) not sure if it works though because i never tried it myself, but that’s probably how to do it.

2 Likes

This does work but you’ll need to also make changes to the code for making sure the chat window moves when the text box goes over 1 line so it doesn’t go off-screen and then fix some issue that caused it to crash for me when attempting that.

And yes, the Topbar+ one would work but it’d be more practical to be like:

api:GetTopbarButton():setRight()

(Icon - TopbarPlus)

So you don’t have to fork it and be left with underlying bugs in the future that may be brought to my attention.

Also todo for me:

• expose api controls
  • fix talk command for HD admin plugin
3 Likes

Yep, that’d be a cool implementation! Also, is the chat tag fix released yet? Just wondering

2 Likes