Deletedddddddddddd

deleted…

Just by looking at it, I’m guessing you used Blender Render, and by all means that is a fine solution when you are getting started, but I would definitely encourage you to go the Cycles route. The easiest way to define cycles rendering was via this StackOverflow post:

Cycles is an unbiased, physically based, path tracing engine designed for animations, which means that it produces an image by tracing the paths of “rays” through the scene.
Specifically, cycles is a “backwards” path tracer, which means that it traces light rays by sending them from the camera instead of sending them from light source(s).

Next, to achieve more realistic lighting, I’d suggest using an HDRI image, such as this one: Studio Small 05 HDRI • Poly Haven

It’s really basic to setup, but emits near photorealistic lighting which gives a really cool effect.
Here’s a quick tutorial on HDRI lighting: https://www.hyperfocaldesign.com/tutorials/blender-hdri-tutorial-cycles/

Lastly, maybe look at the pose. The way the right arm is up and the right leg semi up doesn’t seem to natural. You could perhaps have him crouching/knees-bent to show like the moment before a jump. Just try to achieve a look that feels natural and human/child-like.

Please ignore the rough edges, but this is something I mocked up in like an hour using HDRI lighting + cycles. Not the best, but should demonstrate my point w/ the lighting

10 Likes

Couldn’t have come up with a better response. Great job to this one.

1 Like

Great response. Adding onto what George said, the main thing when you’re switching from blender render to cycles is learning to get used to nodes, since cycles is based almost entirely on them and your knowledge of their use (decent tutorial on the topic: beginners guide to nodes in blender - YouTube)

There are a number of things that can really spice up a render in cycles once you get a basic knowledge of how to node because its such an amazing engine; here’s some of those effects and how to achieve them.

Bump maps, roughness maps and emission maps

Bump maps are essentially a method of making meshes have some detail without altering the physical geometry of the mesh. Darker areas of the image appear as slightly 3D protrusions from the mesh, despite the fact that they are in fact 2D.

Bump map effect:

Roughness maps are a type of map used to define areas where a mesh should be more reflective, or less reflective. Lighter areas mean a higher reflectance, and vice versa.

Roughness map effect:

(Ceiling and floor have the maps)

Emission maps function in a similar manner to roughness maps, but they define areas that should be emitting light and areas that should not. Lighter areas emit light, and vice versa.

Emission map effect:

This tutorial from blender guru should help with maps in general; I recommend you watch it in full.:
The Basics of Good Texturing in Blender - YouTube

Displacement

Displacement, as opposed to bump, creates 3D protrusions on a mesh that are defined by an image you choose. Generally, they require a significant amount of subdivision on the mesh in order for the geometry to appear smooth.

Displacement effect:

This video covers displacement, and although it’s for terrain, it carries parallels to roblox as well:
PBR displacement maps in blender - YouTube

Depth of field

Depth of field is probably a concept you’re already familiar with, so sorry if i’m insulting your intelligence here - just in case you don’t, it’s the idea that objects appear more blurred out the further they are from focus, and objects in focus are the sharpest in the image. This isn’t actually node based (assuming you’re not doing this in post-render) but its still important.

Effect:

There’s built-in DoF in blender, so all you really need to do is select which object is in focus and adjust the camera settings. Here’s a video that goes through it well:
Add Depth of Field (DOF) to your Render in Blender - YouTube

The images I embedded are all mine or from my twitter, so sorry if they seem a little rushed/shoddy since I was just selecting stuff from the middle of my blender folder :sweat_smile:

Regardless, I hope you manage to get into cycles. Good luck!

10 Likes