Bouvet Island Is Uninhabited

However, it could be so if isn’t inhabited at any time, it would be an option possibly.

Would this logic apply to every other error in the Location selector? Like eSwatini being called Swaziland? Or am I just being a pedant?

I think they should look to a different external source if that is the case.

Everyone makes mistakes sometimes.

I don’t believe this is a roblox bug, its a civilisation bug that no one wants to live there :frowning:

Cant blame roblox for wanting people to give an island some company

5 Likes

That is true, but we also could ask a roblox admin why.

Follow up: When setting your location to Bouvet Island, the popular sort is completely empty:

3 Likes

This seems like intended behavior.

3 Likes

A bug is unexpected behaviour, from a user perspective having no games on a sort described as ‘popular’ is a bug, if it were ‘Popular in Bouvet Island’ i would most likely consider it intended behaviour, but due to its name its at the very least bad UX

2 Likes

That is honestly really weird.

Aha not so, there is a Popular Worldwide sort. Popular is actually secretly popular games near you. Since there is nobody on Bouvet Island… well…

2 Likes

To anyone wondering whether or not Bouvet Island is worth having on this list…

Bouvet_Island_ISS017-E-16161_no_text

Behold. Bouvet Island in its entirety. It is populated by moss, fungus, algae, birds, and seals.

Nobody lives here and nobody ever will. I imagine it’s a byproduct of the island having its own ISO code (as a result it has a TLD and an emoji for its flag – which looks identical to Norway’s flag because they are in fact the same place).

Probably not a bug for it to be listed as a location but it’s probably unintended behavior.

5 Likes

More follow up, is this also related to Antartica being a choice? Despite it never having a permanent population, only having seasonal scientists, which I doubt would play Roblox?

Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 12.39.42 PM

1 Like

We shouldn’t be excluding anyone, especially not the poor scientists trapped in Antarctica. Why are you being so cruel?

8 Likes

He might be trying to say something like, there’s no internet there.

I have so many questions. Like why Brunei is not called Brunei, and instead is listed in Malay, as Brunei Darussalam. No other country is named in Malay, all are the English versions.

Pretty sure Roblox’s country list is probably from another source they just copied and pasted from. To answer the OP, this isn’t really a bug; however there are related issues, like popular [near you] breaking if you go to an area with an insufficient player sample size.

It might be worth making a bug report for the country list itself if you keep finding problems with it – would be better than making a bunch of small ones.

Pedantic issues aside, having countries misspelled is a problem.

4 Likes

I’ll make a large thread with all the issues compiled, then. Thanks for the suggestion.

@PeZsmistic could you lock this thread?

Continued here:

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/mega-thread-for-location-errors/701659

3 Likes

Please edit a link to the new topic into your last reply.