Chat and chat bubbles sometimes get cut off and don't show whole sentence

What issue are you having? Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.

My chat cuts off whenever I try sending/typing with the bubble chat feature. It presents only a cut version of the text, and some empty space with it. I usually expect an complete sentence, making it harder for me to communicate with other players ingame.

Does the bug happen 100% of the time?

Yes, the bug appears 100% of the time.

If so, are there steps that reproduce the bug?

1. Enable bubble chat in your game.
  2. When ingame, try chatting. What’ll show is an incomplete version of the given sentence.

Is it level-specific? Is it game specific? Please post a link to the place that exhibits the issue.

No, its is not game, nor level-specific. It happens on every game accessible to mobile device.

Would a screenshot or video help describe it to someone? If so, post one

When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke.

It appeared right after you made it possible for importing colormaps, but I am sure that isn’t tied here.

85 Likes

Well, it happens every single time for me though.

16 Likes

Is it back again? I thought it was fixed as last time I ran into the issue, it was on PC, I had no idea until today that it occurred on Mobile as well.

8 Likes

It happens to me 90% of the time and it makes it really hard for communicating.

14 Likes

I am having this issue on mobile and laptop

8 Likes

Thanks for your report, we have been aware of this issue and actively looking at it.

12 Likes

We tried to improve text rendering on high retina mobile devices that introduces this problem. The affecting feature should be turned off now and the text will look a bit worse on mobile but the bubble chat should be recovered. Thanks for your patience and pls make sure it is working as intended on your devices~

16 Likes

This is a minor chat bug that I experience occasionally. Other users have had it as well, from what I’ve heard, and I believe it’s worth bringing this bug to attention since I’ve searched the dev forum without finding any other mention of this. For the most part, I’m posting this for a friend that finds it a significant inconvenience.

When chatting in a game that uses the default chat, or when another person chats a message of a specific length, the last word of the chat may be cut off in the chat window, as shown in the image below. Note that one of the chats in the chat window does not have the last word like it should, while the corresponding chat bubble does.

Fig. 1: chat message being cut off. Image provided by my friend.

If you see that a message is cut off in the chat window, that specific message, sent by a user with that specific username, will always create a cut-off message for your specific window size. I only know that it occurs on PC, but intuitively, it likely can occur on any device that allows you to chat.

This bug occurs in any game that uses the default chat system. I’m unsure of when the bug was introduced, but it has been around for a while. (“It was fine a couple of months ago” according to my friend.)

Most important details:

• It’s a bug in the default chat system, meaning that it does not occur in games that use a custom chat system.
  • It occurs based on window size. Two clients with different window sizes will have it occur for different messages.

I’d like to know if anyone else that has experienced it has more information on it, or if it can be fixed.

8 Likes

Edited the title and category of this bug since it seems to apply to the chat window itself on some devices too. (@0xabcdef1234 see above)

1 Like

This issue is either still occurring or has been reintroduced. I just enabled bubble chat in our game and my first test on my phone had text cutoff. Tested on an iPhone Xs Max.

image (11)

12 Likes

The issue still exists. I think that it may of resurfaced.
It’s been happening to me for a while now, and it’s bugged me quite a bit.

For the image below, “this water is so clean/” has been cut to “this water is so”

For the image below, “okay Imao” has been cut to “okay”

I am playing on a Windows laptop. It sometimes happens and sometimes does not.

There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason for when this happens. Just randomly. Please fix this. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Just wanted to let you know that a fix for the chat bubbles has been made live very recently! Please let us know if you keep having this issue with the chat bubbles

15 Likes

My friends and I are still experiencing this issue very frequently.

10 Likes

We’re also expriencing this issue as well. Chat still gets cut off

4 Likes

This problem is still happening, even in a blank baseplate game

1. Enable bubble chat
  2. Go in game and say “I’m just against people getting an advantage over others” (this is just one of the messages that produce this bug)
  3. You will see this, “over others” gets cut off
5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, looks like we’ve missed a few edge cases, time to re-open that issue

13 Likes

i still have issues aswell.

6 Likes

Happens to me randomly, regardless of the game I am in.
When you don’t have chat history enabled in your game and only bubble chat, you have to re-type the message.

8 Likes

Yup, still occurring on a Windows 8.1, Version 6.3, HP Pavilion desktop.

4 Likes

Still happens constantly in any game I’m in, Windows 10.

4 Likes