Builders

I’ve ran an active building community since 2008 and since then have written and re-written tools and frameworks for building online. This game is a new generation of all of that.

There are still a few big things that I would like to add, like custom particles, custom GUIs/surface GUIs, pseudo-programmable systems, things that would be nice to be able to do with a set of tools.

Currently, it works similarly to Studio, where you can right click to create a new part, copy, delete, cut, paste, clone, group, ungroup, and use control shortcuts for the same things. The tools are mapped to the number keys so they resemble online tools, and the buttons open up more menus where you can do things that don’t have a designated tool, like insert a part of a certain FormFactor/Shape, wedge, truss, seat, vehicleseat, cornerwedge, or clone your character, or build a new character by listing assets, or upload decals and meshes and append them to things. So far, it’s pretty neat.

The game is universe-based, so when you join, you get your own base to build on. The chat and playerlist is replicated across every server, and you are able to teleport to someone else’s base, and other people are able to teleport to yours. You are able to allow other players to build (they by default are not allowed to build on your base) or you can ban them from coming to your base.

Whenever I update, I update a timer that gets checked when you join. If there is an update, it notifies you and asks if you want to update. If you decide to update, your base is converted into a long string that gets stored, and a new place is created from the template, and you’re teleported to it… The new base interprets the string and uploads your base as it was saved. This only happens when you update; the base is otherwise saved using SavePlaceAsync.

It’s pretty cool, it looks a lot nicer this way than just a mess of tools for particular purposes.
It just needs those way-more-advanced-than-anything-else-there-so-far systems and it will be perfect.

Should have multiple chat channels, Timestamps, and the scrollbar doesn’t disappear when the chat disappears. Should also create basic scripts you can put into parts. (Lava script, Cancollide/uncancollide on touch/click, etc. Just basic stuff) But this is probably the neatest and most intuitive building game I’ve seen.

The chat and playerlist is an edited copy of the coregui where I just tell it what to show. I can play around with it and add some more things, or scrap it and write my own if it would look better.

The script stuff I’m thinking about. I would like to have some sort of interface where you can essentially construct basic programs, but I’m not sure that that would be too overcomplicated or difficult.

Lovely! I’ve been pursuing the concept of an online build server, but I haven’t been successful. My last approach was to allow players to start multiple (generally small) builds, and they could save and load them from DataStore. It was a problem when the saves had to be split into multiple keys (65k limit), and sometimes the first key would save, but the second wouldn’t. Things got corrupt! I might retry with a better backup system to prevent corruption.

However, this technique with CreatePlaceAsync sounds boss! Roblox does all the hard work!
I really am just trying to imitate a private build server because my BC runs out in 2 weeks. :stuck_out_tongue:

As for the tools, they’re simple and straightforward, so that’s nice. I do miss having strangers visit me, though. I couldn’t figure out how to visit other servers. I like doing my building at least in the company of others, even if we’re not building together. I did appreciate that they all share the same selection! :slight_smile:

Finally, visiting your place gave me a little perspective (in the sense that it also applies to my own projects). I entered to a plain green baseplate, and I didn’t know what to do. I just messed around for a minute or two before I left. Then I revisited to get a real feel of using your tools. :stuck_out_tongue:
This is what people feel at most build servers (I assume), especially if there’s unfamiliar tools. It would help considerably to bring people in if they had an environment to place their build in.
Maybe you’re not trying to rope in new builders, but I’ll keep this in mind for my future projects. :slight_smile:

[quote] The chat and playerlist is an edited copy of the coregui where I just tell it what to show. I can play around with it and add some more things, or scrap it and write my own if it would look better.

The script stuff I’m thinking about. I would like to have some sort of interface where you can essentially construct basic programs, but I’m not sure that that would be too overcomplicated or difficult. [/quote]

I’d say, make a drag n’ drop interface. Easier to sandbox and nicer for build community. It should be simple to extend it, once you get nice framework going for it.