[Building/Texturing] Questions On Improving My City

Basically I’ve been working on a city for quite a while and I’m actually impressed with my work, but since roblox is gonna come a long way how am I able to add some realism to my city making it a real life feeling. I started with smooth terrain not sure what else.

So basically what can I do to my roads/city to make it more realistic?

6 Likes

That looks really good! Perhaps well maybe add more ground to it so it won’t float, and maybe some more buildings, and houses, and npcs as the people.

2 Likes

And maybe add brick designs for some of the buildings and concrete for the roads! That will make a perfect city!

1 Like

I was thinking of adding walking NPCS, on the sidewalk but would that cause lag, and also the city isn’t done yet I will be adding terrain so it won’t float after the map is done.

Street lamps, more road detail like with cross sections, add some merge roads and a giant road, add some bushes and trees in the green patches.

Theres ways to script NPCs efficiently without causing lag, I saw someone once achieve over 300 NPCs walking simultaneously at 60 FPS. I’d definitely consider adding NPCs, as well as little props such as benches, fire hydrant, street lamps, etc. Should also take advantage of the new lighting system. You’d be surprised as to how much more realism can be achieved just with lighting, especially when combined with textures like on the roads and sidewalks.

I’ll be adding what you suggested but about the textures: As I browse on textures.com and test them with my sidewalks they don’t look as nice just looks like a picture it doesn’t blend in even when im using the textures instance.

I get this same problem, it’s best to use seamless textures on roads and sidewalks - it looks a lot better.

Ok if you don’t want to use npcs you don’t have to. But it makes look good to have people living in it

I will be adding NPCs soon I’m just gonna work on optimizing it.

Ok because that would be cool! Also add vehicles to it

Definitely I’m planning to have some what of city game.

1 Like

Ok that would be so cool! Have fun making the city!

My suggestions would be to add some giant rocks in the grasses of the less dense areas of the city. To and on to PlayerHasJoined’s prop examples, consider stop signs and traffic lights.

realsistic trees would be very awesome your starting off great