Can I use “Legos” in my game?

I am making a game that involves bricks that will look a little like Lego bricks, because they are plastic and stackable. I was wondering if this would be allowed, or will I will get in trouble for copyright. Of course, I wouldn’t actually include the name Lego, just the bricks, like how Roblox does baseplates

4 Likes

I think this is where you looking for:

Copyright Article Roblox

1 Like

It depends on how it looks like and how it is used on your game. You should check out the
https://en.help.roblox.com/hc/en-us/articles/206388086

1 Like

I am thinking about making LEGO bricks without the logo, and making it so players can build with it. Sort of like this:
*I did not make the image above, it’s just an example.

Do you think this would be allowed?

1 Like

I think this is allowed, but for exact information you can look here:

Lego notices and policies

That will be considered as “fan art” or “parody.”

According to the Roblox support page, it says,
“If you have created your own artwork featuring a product or character, this is usually considered okay. The art will need to be created entirely from scratch and you should not use the original creations within your work.”

Therefore, you will be fine.

2 Likes

Depending on how close they look in comparison, it’s actually not fan art or parody. It’s IP infringement.

This has been covered before as to why you shouldn’t make lego-adjacent building blocks, best summarized by this post:

Well you might have to see this topic before releasing it.

Here’s this feature reply for you! :slight_smile:

What if I create a block and add Roblox’s stud material to it. Would that work because it was made by Roblox, I’m just using it? Also, do you think I’d be legally allowed to make my own stud texture, like Roblox’s?

Well, ROBLOX use to look back then, but the circle studs (shown on this photo) looks similar to Lego pieces.

Here’s this photo:

download

This was in use but until ROBLOX removed the circle studs and replace them to square studs in 2009 to prevent from Lego copyright?
Here’s this other photo shown the ‘R’ square stud’s:

This was in use for maybe 7 year’s, but when ROBLOX releases the new logo in January, 2017, the stud’s we’re updated like this (Sorry for this giant photo):

c0f2344255c01ae072b8262ab42e333c

As you may see in this third photo, the ‘R’ stud’s we’re removed at that time right when ROBLOX releases the new logo.

You can just making a building game using Roblox blocks… Those have been around for literally over a decade.

I’m talking about specific Lego bricks, logos, etc.

1 Like

Yeah like that like this reply on the top I made. :slight_smile:

@LoveTheBears101 I see you are also interested to create a game with lego blocks.

I have asked the same thing in this topic. There are alot of opinions about this topic, so really take a look at the topic @Guestboy835 mentioned. Because of the mixed opinions, I asked a lawyer about it and still waiting for a response, so I will get the right answer soon.

1 Like

Lego does not hold rights to the concept of stackable bricks.

1 Like

I got the answer now. You can read it in this topic.