Can I use songs if I have video/audio permission?

Hello,

I’d like to add some music to my game. The documentation for Sounds and Music states:

[that] uploading and/or using audio files that you don’t own or have rights
to use is against Roblox’s terms of service.

And that we would need:

“Explicit, licensed permission to use all sound effects that appear in game"

Another forum post states:

you can contact the copyright holder and attempt to make an agreement
for a private copyright license between just you and them.

I have video/audio, from the artist in question, stating that I have permission to use their music. Will that suffice? If so, how would I go about presenting that evidence?

I spoke with support, but they just repeated what the documentation said. Has anyone submitted permission stuff, if so how?

Thanks in advance, and please be nice! ;=^P

If you have permission, then you have permission. I don’t see what part needs more clarification :stuck_out_tongue:

Hold onto that evidence if an issue arises. That’s when you’d present it.

3 Likes

If you have permission with the owner and the copyright owner. You can play non-explicit music in your own game. You also might want to give credit to the owner of the music.

I see what you did there… but if you read my question you’ll see the part that needs clarification. 'Nuff said.

The goal isn’t to hold on to evidence in the even something goes down; that’s poor planning. Like most projects, prior planning is key - and this is that stage.

Thanks Tin, I just don’t want to find out I’m screwed after the game is in production. I’d like to have the okay prior but there doesn’t seem to be a system for that… sigh

That’s happened to me before. I was working on a project, and in the middle of it. I got a copyright strike by A GROUP THAT WAS CREATED AFTER my group. but there group name was copyrighted so I had to change my group name.

No you don’t understand, DMCA takedown requests can only made by the IP holder - which if they gave you permission, why would they file one?

Holding onto the proof in case of an issue is in the event the IP holder wants to go back on their word without talking to you first, in which case you can fight back with reasonable evidence, and avoid getting a strike.

THAT’S what I mean by “if you have permission then you have permission.” The prior planning you actually did was get permission to use the IP. Congratulations.

If that agreement requires any kind of credit (you didn’t specify in the first post if there were any requirements to uphold the rights), you can do that in the asset’s description.

This isn’t the case from what I read, the docs state: Source

Starting on June 18th, 2018, we will be removing certain copyrighted music that is currently on Roblox that is not part of the approved Licensed Music. […]. If you don’t remove any copyrighted music, and it is flagged by our Moderation team, we will automatically replace the music with Licensed Music. Your account will not receive moderation, but any music that is replaced as part of this process will not receive a refund.

Also,

The prior planning you actually did was get permission to use the IP. Congratulations

Prior planning extends much further than that one step - specially when two parties are involved.

The thread you linked in your first post has a solution that’s basically saying the same thing as I am.

Roblox isn’t going to remove the music you have permission to use, “flagged by our moderation team” means the IP owner contacted Roblox, which as I said is not going to happen if you have permission. Also I’ll mention that post from 2018 was about clearing the music catalogue to begin giving out copyright strikes on a clean slate, not how music uploading is handled going forwards.