Can't Save a Table and Get It If Player Has Data with DataStore2

Hi,
Recently, I was trying to make an inventory system with categories and I was trying to make a table contains all items, effects, and trails that the player has but I got very confused while doing that.

What I tried to do:

local SSS = game:GetService("ServerScriptService")
local players = game:GetService("Players")

local giveDataEvent = SSS:WaitForChild("GiveDataStoreEvent")

dataStore2.Combine("Inventory", "Items", "Effect", "Trails")

players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(plyr)
local itemsDataStore = dataStore2("Items", plyr)
local effectDataStore = dataStore2("Effect", plyr)
local trailsDataStore = dataStore2("Trails", plyr)

local inventoryFolder = Instance.new("Folder", plyr)
inventoryFolder.Name = "Inventory"

local itemsFolder = Instance.new("Folder", inventoryFolder)
itemsFolder.Name = "Items"

local effectFolder = Instance.new("Folder", inventoryFolder)
effectFolder.Name = "Effect"

local trailsFolder = Instance.new("Folder", inventoryFolder)
trailsFolder.Name = "Trails"

local function updataItemsData(itemsData)
	itemsDataStore:GetTable(itemsFolder:GetChildren())
end

itemsDataStore:OnUpdate(updataItemsData)

end)

Although reading pretty much about this, I couldn’t do anything. (I haven’t skilled in that yet)

You cannot save Instances to a datastore.

You could try saving the names of the items and loading/saving using the item name instead of the instance.

1 Like

Alright, I know how can I do this. I made function that returns a table of names of items but I don’t know the how to save the table of the names or get the table (I tried :GetTable()).

If you have a table with names then you can save the table directly to a Datastore.

:GetTable() is a function of Datastore2 which is a module that isn’t maintained or owned by Roblox.

Just use Datastore:UpdateAsync() and return the list of items. Datastore:GetAsync() to retrieve them.

1 Like

I tried that but it gets an error: image
Are you sure there is a function called :UpdateAsync() because I looked in API list of DataStore2 and I didn’t find a function called that. I also tried to use SaveAsync() but it gets the same error tells there is not :GetAsync() function which made me more confused

I already told you, Datastore2 is not the official Roblox datastore. It is a user made module.
Look at the Roblox wiki for DataStoreService

Datastore2 is great if you know how it works, otherwise I would get a basic understanding of the Datastore service.

Datastore2 is great because it caches everything and auto-creates backups and has tons of support for serialization and such. If you really want to use Datastore2 I believe their method is :Set() (or :Increment() if it’s a number ) and you only need GetTable({}) on the first call to set default values.

1 Like