Cent Symbol(¢) Only Works Sometimes?

I have two different menu screens and both of them use the cent symbol (¢). The problem is that on one menu it works, but on the other one, it gets replaced by an X. I think this is because Roblox does not support the cent symbol, but how does it work in one menu and not the other?

4 Likes

Are you using a different font for the one that doesn’t work? It could just be that that specific font doesn’t support that character.

2 Likes

I tried the same font but it doesn’t work.

2 Likes

There are certain symbols which don’t function well due to the possibility of being used to form swear words. I’m not sure if this is still relevant, but I remember the British pound sign (£) didn’t work in the past.

Are you positive that you’re using the same font for both texts? If the problem persists, you may just have to use a different symbol.

1 Like

it just stopped working in both menus now D:

2 Likes

Is there any way you could just use an image rather than the text symbol?

Some fonts have the cent symbol. Some fonts don’t.

What font did you use for the first screenshot in the OP? Use THAT font for the second screenshot.

I used the same correct font, just that Roblox doesn’t support it. The original font now turned into the x box, also, in the script editor the symbol turned into a question mark encased in a rhombus.

2 Likes

Mind showing us a screenshot of the first page with the [X]?

I read on another forum that Roblox only supports ASCII characters 32-127 or something like that, so it is normal for it to error. I’m just wondering how it worked the first time.

2 Likes

You can use an emoji instead: ¢

Still doesn’t work. I’ve decided to replace the cent symbol with a c, seems similar enough.

1 Like

That’s very weird. I checked and all the fonts support the cent symbol.

Can you check that the Text property of the label looks like this:

(I didn’t see that screenshot of the script)

That cent symbol should be displayed in the script editor properly. The script editor supports unicode:

Try copy-pasting the cent symbol again.

It shows this:
This may be happening because I am applying it from a script. When I manually type it, it works fine. Seems weird :confused:

1 Like

See my previous reply. Just incase you need something to copy-paste: ¢

It shows fine in the script editor but once I close and open it, the symbol changes to that question mark again. I then changed it to the cent symbol again and it shows the box again.

1 Like

I’m afraid I’m not getting the same results. When I close and re-open the script the ¢ symbol stays there.

You wouldn’t happen to be using any external script editors (e.g. Rojo, Rofresh), would you? If it isn’t too much to ask, can you try disabling all your plugins and restarting studio?

I disabled my plugins, reopened it and trying different things and it’s still not working. I also changed my script editor’s font to Arial and it still doesn’t work.

2 Likes

That’s frustrating :confused: Try replacing it with utf8.char(162):

upgrade.Cost.Shadow.Text = price .. utf8.char(162)

I got the codepoint for ¢ by doing utf8.codepoint("¢"), if you’re curious.

3 Likes