Changes to Part Surfaces

RIP my yellow cheese blocks :frowning:
proof
One like = 1R$ to a Cheese family in need!

UPDATE: As @UnderMyWheel mentioned below:

Yesss!!

14 Likes

Yes, please read the original post

Just in case you didn’t already see this:

3 Likes

I love the update! I usually don’t use studs because I think I really don’t need to. However as long as there is no changes to Anchoring I will be fine! :grinning:

:cold_sweat: It’s disappointing to me as a Average developer since this will get removed I don’t use the feature as much however I do use it a lot for baseplates.

1 Like

Heres a topic. Scriots using code that has Surfaces, whether their enums or names, won’t they break? Are you going to make a workaround for the script to not error out when it can’t find those properties?

Uh, I think with the removal of surfaces, object’s ability to know what surface should have Lighting.LegacyOutlines won’t be existent. Will all objects become outlined? This will be an issue for some my detailed games, and I think a lot of existing games.

Feels bad man.

One of my works that uses outlines.

2 Likes

Hello all! We made a minor change to the existing Beta Feature to further simplify things.

Before, as mentioned in the post, when Join Surfaces was on, all flat touching sides would create a ManualWeld instance, and a special name was generated using the names of the two connecting parts.

Now, we just create a Weld instance and give it no special name. There is currently no difference between the two, and creating special names was inconsistent with how everything else is created in Studio (using identical names also creates a small network performance improvement).

This change should have already been applied to the Beta Feature, so this will already be happening if you have the feature enabled.

2 Likes

This change will not remove any properties nor will it affect Outlines.

1 Like

The surface option still exists in Studio even with the beta feature, However if you insert studs onto one brick and copy it the studs will not transfer over. Will the surface option in Roblox Studio be removed sooner or later?

1 Like

Are you able to provide an example of this? I’m pretty sure this only happens when you insert new parts rather than duplicating existing ones.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t consider it hours wasted, the more you learn how to do stuff the best way available, the happier you’ll be with your work :slight_smile:

I get that newer, less-experienced builders may have a hard time figuring out what the surface types do. It makes sense to at least hide an unused feature of the Roblox engine. Those who specifically want to use legacy surface joints can use MakeJoints (or for now, JoinToOutsiders), though I’d prefer it be hidden via an advanced setting in case someone needs it to work with older builds.

I couldn’t help but notice that the change hasn’t become mainstream yet. Are you keeping the legacy surfaces around a little longer for older builders to adapt?

Edit:

Oh. Nevermind. I found the announcement.

Will yellow hinges be replaced with a constraint to power vehicles? Or do we have to script everything now… many people who develop cars and locomotives don’t know anything about making or installing scripts, so will this mean newer developers will no longer be able to power a vehicle without learning how to program? If this is true, its rather conflicting with all the other updates that have been done to making roblox easier for new developers…

1 Like

Haven’t heard anything about part surfaces in some time, and like @ForbiddenJ said,
“less-experienced builders may have a hard time figuring out what the surface types do.” I don’t know a whole lot about part surfaces so I think it may be helpful in the near future.:+1:t6:

Yellow surface hinges have been replaced by HingeConstraints for a few years now. We have a very simple tutorial with a script included to create a car using constraints. There’s also tons of cars and chassis on the toolbox that can be taken and customized.

That being said, this change is not removing the ability to use yellow surface hinges, as stated in the post. You will still be able to use them to build cars with VehicleSeats after this change.

1 Like

Is there any plan to eventually phase out hinges and motors?

I think that most developers script/build their own versions of hinges and motors -or some of the like- so the idea of phasing them out might have some positive feedback.

[Correct me if I’m wrong, I’m not a super expierenced developer]

1 Like

Just use this bit of code in the command bar and will delete everything with the name “ManualWeld” in the game, or whatever name you put in the if statement.

for i,v in pairs(workspace:GetDescendants()) do
	if v.Name == "ManualWeld" then
		v:Destroy()
	end
end
2 Likes

We may continue to hide and remove them from various studio tools, but they will always exist as an instance you could insert with a script to maintain backwards compatibility.

Surface Hinges and Motors have been replaced by HingeConstraints and other physics Constraints.

1 Like

So creating motors with a script would still work?