Changes to Thumbnail/Icon System

Meanwhile on the featured sort…

8 Likes

I agree with the others that there needs to just be 1 neutral thumbnail and icon, something like what Wsly has pictured. Seeing all of these randomized, false icons is very confusing and misleading, and it should absolutely not be like that.

Aside from that, I think this is a smart change. Definitely will be good to counteract inappropriate game thumbnails/icons. Of course it’s unfortunate for games with owners who are no longer around to update those images, but I doubt those games are still generating large amounts of traffic anyway.

5 Likes

I’m actually into these thumbnails, but I’d prefer they have some sort of relation to the genre. Let’s say I have a horror or western genre game and I’d like an auto-generated thumbnail. Hoping the system could give me something related to that. I see a lot of potential for genres to be auto-generated and friendly.

Example:
Although this is just a development place, it’d be a neat to not to have something kinda irrelevant to the game’s genre.

7 Likes

image.jpg
:(

7 Likes

So umm… Is this supposed to affect plugins too??

36 Likes

I like the change, but the specific images dont make sense.
Wsly’s idea is good.

1 Like

That made me chuckle.

2 Likes

Technically they’re images from the different templates in studio though I agree that images for each genre would be good and some neutral ones as well that you could possibly choose from.

1 Like

Do model thumbnails go through moderation or is this update going to affect them too?

3 Likes

I don’t know what the difference is between this, and misleading thumbnails; nor do I know what the point of putting up irrelevant thumbnails to a place is. You may as well be forcing people to upload thumbnails to a game because no one will realistically keep this for a serious game.

If I were going to execute this however, I’d have it assign thumbnails based on the genre of the game (all would be an edge case, but far better than whatever is going on here).

5 Likes

Every time I hear that there is a web update I die a little inside.

Also its gonna lead to ugly crap such as this

17 Likes

why are plugins affected by this too?

13 Likes

Just going to leave this here. I don’t think there was a single positive comment that I’ve heard about this update yet, all it’s doing is getting more people to use complete clickbait thumbnails for cheap. That’s not something that should be supported in the community.
It actually gets me REALLY mad because I loved how I could just position the camera and that’d be the thumbnail, now by default on my places it’s automatically putting up these low quality and random thumbnails… That’s just silly.

12 Likes

Slightly less badly written greasemonkey userscript that doesn’t constantly poll the page but instead uses mutationobservers via arrive.js. Click raw then install~

Pls don’t sue but I didn’t like the default icon you used. So I changed it three times 1,2,3 decided on the last one. (old icon)

1 Like

But that’s not ROBLOX’s logo, is it now?

image.png

I can only say that this update really makes current matters worse. Really, get together, ROBLOX - or we’ll end up losing popularity before long.

8 Likes

(My personal preference) I hate seeing the new logo so if I can have the old then I will. Besides another script already strips away every mention/seeing of the new logo and replaces it with the old.

Ah, okay - I was merely a bit confused as to why you used the old logo.

1 Like

I feel like this wouldn’t be a problem if you guys had a little more faith in your users instead of punishing everyone for the misconducts of a small bunch that slip through moderation. I make this argument under the assumption that this is a way to combat inappropriate content.

That’s not our fault.

This is a problem that stems from the ineffective design of our webpages- primarily the front page for games and individual game pages. For example: You guys got rid of the comment section, reasonably so, but didn’t offer a replacement to something that could have been crucial for promoting higher quality games and not the clickbait junk.

People have suggested a feature similar to Steam’s review system since 2015 (keyword ‘Steam Review’ in search)

To my knowledge, we have heard nothing from the web team addressing this issue. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I think we have a right to be angry because you guys expect us to be civilized people who won’t abuse the creative freedoms this site has to offer, but you don’t provide us effective tools that empower us to help you get rid of the junk that other users maliciously publish. All we get is a report button who for god knows if it actually works. If people don’t think it works, then they aren’t going to use it. Very ineffective. It’s the same mentality with people who don’t vote, because they don’t think that their single vote is going to make a difference. I’m sure we are well aware of how problematic that is on its own.

Y’all just need to put a little more faith in your users. I’m sure most of us here are willing, we just need better tools to inform you that someone is publishing content unsuitable for ROBLOX. Something like a review system is going to help us help you promote higher quality games (assuming front page has a sorting for it) and push trashy, inappropriate games to the back. Auto generated thumbnails/icons is not something we needed. Why are we getting things we don’t need when we aren’t hearing about things we actually need?

29 Likes

Here is a new logo edit just for you. :123:

2 Likes