Changes to Top Contributor and other distinctive forum titles

Good to know that this is getting some attention. Better late than never.

Every few months, this title is given to Members that have a combination of all of these: high likes received to post ratios, high topics read/entered counts, a good forum standing in terms of moderation, and consistent forum activity.

It’s possible you didn’t quite meet one of these requirements - and if you did meet all, there could be a historical reason that you were not selected. Probably better to ask someone in charge directly instead of on this post.

Very, very good changes. Not only are the Member promotions automated now, Top Contributors are as well. This will obviously be rewarding to anyone helping out and contributing the forums a lot, as you no longer need to post and hope your post is actually seen; it is now automated!

Community Sage is also a great addition, which I definitely believe serves its purpose and will come of great use to the developers.

Also glad to see Post Approval is now on its own team. No more confusion regarding who actually approves posts.

Overall, very nice changes. Can’t wait to see what the future holds us.

I like the name! Congratulations to everyone who’s received the title!

As buildthomas said, likes aren’t the ONLY factor. Posts, likes, and other factors are looked at by the system.

Additionally, you have to be manually reviewed, so even if you do meet the requirements, DevEng (or Sages?) have to manually look at you, including how much you help others, your standing on the forum, and any moderation history on-forum.

1 Like

I feel like these changes help the overall structure of the DevForum, as well as take weight off the Developer Relations team so that they can do their job more diligently.

I can’t express enough how delighted I am to see the ‘Community Sage’ role break ground, as my concerns from earlier in the week in the Updated Process of Achieving “Member” thread seem to be in direct correlation to it being added.

It puts a smile on my face knowing that opinions, no matter how big or small, are taken into account by the team. Excellent work all around.

The Community Sage role is just a rebrand of the Lead Top Contributor role. It’s not anything particularly new.

1 Like

I think Lead Top Contributor’s name change was long overdue, and “Sage”, I think is a pretty good retitle for 'em.

This actually just hit me.

With this change, we are opening ourselves to the possibility of international Top Contributors. This will certainly help our international categories in the long run, by allowing members to evolve regardless of their chosen language.

1 Like

That’s actually something I hadn’t thought of. Having top contributors spread through different languages would probably really boost engagement and participation in international categories. Good catch!

1 Like

With this change, I can see these titles being a lot neater. By the way, nice title “Community Sage”. This is a good change and a step forward for titles that truely identify a member’s contribution and responsibility.

I can see exactly why the Top Contributors are no longer going to be responsible for nominations of New Members becoming full Members with the automated promotion system taking place. I think people in the program did get a lot of noise and were probably asked a lot of questions by people of the forum even if the Top Contributors were not responsible for certain things in the forum, people of the forum still asked them these kinds of questions regardless, possibly giving a lot of stress to them. Now seeing the title name, it should be obvious that Top Contributors are top contributors to the community and should probably cause no confusion.

By the way, from the while change with adding a new group “Post Approval Team” is nice, glad to see a division of groups with different responsibilities meaning there should at least be more of an obvious view for who to contact when your post is in a different category instead of what it should be in.

They actually won’t. What happens is all is automated, except a staff member must evaluate and review to make sure this member is suitable with the title. So really, it does a lot of good, it gives less of a hassle for staff to need to invite a few people and review them anyway, they get the help of automation and only need to review them.

1 Like

I was unware that this was the case. In that regaurd it’s still good to see the role being acknowledged, as it seemed to have slipped by the wayside previously.

It will be interesting to see which members eventually do cross into Sage territory, as it seems some vaugness around the role in general has been cleared.

Great change, I also believe this will make it easier to find some of the more “high-quality” responses in certain categories.

Congratulations everyone that got promoted! :tada:

Sorry if this doesn’t sound as important and rather nit picky but I feel the forum badges Sage and Post Approval fit in the “Community” category rather than “Other”. Might wanna move those badges there?

Since they are invite-only ranks that will not be automated, they are in a separate category. They are community-sourced ranks but they are not mandated by the community as a whole like Member / Top Contributor is.

2 Likes

Awesome change! Congratulations to people who got promoted.

My god, he’s actually right!

In all seriousness, this update is really appreciated, congrats to the new TCs and thanks to DevRel for letting us know of this!

2 Likes

OO Nice additions to the program! Community Sage… it got a ring to it gotta say