Changing the selection should add to undo/redo history

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to manage selections when working with large numbers of parts or instances, and it’s too easy to accidentally lose a huge manually made selection.

I am currently trying to select a large number of parts in Workspace to move them all at once without making a mess. The square rubber band selection tool in Studio helps me get an initial selection of parts, but I have to clean it up afterwards because it also gets a whole bunch of stuff I don’t want to move. This is a lot of manual effort. If I left click in the wrong place or forget to hold shift then my entire selection clears and I have to start all over again.

I want to be able to enable a setting in Studio that updates history whenever I select or deselect something. Then when I undo after accidentally deselecting, my selection gets set to what it previously was. I tried implementing this with a plugin but I caught myself creating my own history stack because selection isn’t preserved and things started getting ugly.

E.g. I need to move this entire underwater area further away from shore. This is a huge number of parts and models and selecting them is not feasible one at a time, and very imprecise otherwise, requiring a lot of cleaning up. This results in simply making the selection becoming a huge sink of time, and it’s currently too easy to accidentally lose the selection.

E.g. Trying to deselect these is difficult because they’re irregular shapes so I’m prone to misclicking or getting tired/distracted and accidentally unpressing the shift key while deselecting them. This clears the entire selection without recovery.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I would no longer need to rely on hacks to foolproof my efforts in making large selections. Currently I have keep grouping my selection just in case as I work on my selection, or make some kind of change that affects all of the selected parts and creates a waypoint so if I undo Studio automatically selects everything again.

19 Likes