Changing Walkspeed When Entering An Area

In this situation, a character is supposed to walk through a building and, once you are in, your walkspeed changes. I know how to change the players walkspeed, but I’m unsure as to how you can have the character have their walkspeed changed once they’re within a certain area. Any ideas on what I can do? Any assistance at all is appreciated : )

You could add a part on the door, make it nocollide then add a touched event and via do it that way :slight_smile:

1 Like

As @lrisDev said. You can do a touched event. You would insert a script into that part and it would look something like this:

script.Parent.Touched:Connect(function(object)
– if statement checking if object.Parent is a character–
–changing the players walkspeed using the “object” parameter–
end)

You can also add a debounce if you want to reduce lag I guess.

2 Likes

The best script I was able to mash together was this one below, since I’m a very inexperienced scripter, and of course it hadn’t worked. Brace yourself, this may get ugly:

local debounce = true
local Player = game.Players.LocalPlayer

local function object(otherPart)
	if otherPart.Parent:FindFirstChildWhichIsA("Humanoid") then
		debounce = false
		Player.Character.Humanoid.Walkspeed = 5
		debounce = true
	end
end

brick.Touched:Connect(object())
1 Like
  1. You did not reference “brick”
  2. The debounce is not doing anything since you did not add a wait or a if statement seeing if the debounce is true or false.
  3. Don’t change the walkspeed via the player, do otherPart.Parent.Humanoid.Walkspeed

One thing you can do is fill the room with a huge invisible part which will be the region that changes your walkspeed.
Then add this in a script inside it:

local original_speed = 16 
local new_speed = 20 -- speed for the walkspeed region

script.Parent.Touched:Connect(function(hit)
  if hit.Parent:FindFirstChild("Humanoid") and not hit.Parent:FindFirstChild("WalkspeedRegion") then
    local x = Instance.new("BoolValue", hit.Parent);
    x.Name = "WalkspeedRegion"

hit.Parent.Humanoid.WalkSpeed = new_speed
  end
end)

script.Parent.TouchEnded:Connect(function(hit)
  if hit.Parent:FindFirstChild("WalkspeedRegion") and hit.Parent:FindFirstChild("Humanoid") then
    hit.Parent.WalkspeedRegion:Destroy()
    hit.Parent.Humanoid.WalkSpeed = original_speed
  end
end)
5 Likes

Whoops, I had included the brick but I didn’t include it when I copied the script

Thank you, this work exactly as I wanted it to!