Client/character freezes when holding right click on top of window [repro]

I had originally sent this to the exploit reports team because I did not know this thread existed. Posting this here for the hope of getting it fixed.

There are probably many other uses to abuse this bug. Though the big one is the ability to outlast cooldown timers indefinitely.

Bug: Breaking Time

Reproduction:

1. Be on a computer version of Roblox.
  2. Press the X in the top right corner, click and drag your cursor off the X. Your game should appear frozen.
  3. Your character is now also frozen in whatever it is doing, likely as a form of lag compensation.
  4. Let go of the mouse. Your character should now fall and activate any inputs put in whilst frozen.

Why this is bad:

• This frozen state can be abused to bypass various forms of debounces, wait(), fall damage, and reaction time mechanics in games.
  • The developer can not counteract this without punishing lagging players.
  • You can equip/dequip backpack items while being frozen.

Potential fix:

• Ensure that clicking X makes the player leave, they can’t click and drag to cancel it.

Demonstrations of the bug:

https://youtu.be/oToqbCwbpTU
Being used to bypass a debounce cooldown for an ability in The Day the Noobs Took Over Roblox 3. Abusing it basically gives you the ability to fly.

https://i.gyazo.com/9c6c59f34af21e1369366f339c328c72.gif
Being used to keep your character alive from fall damage longer than intended in Natural Disaster Survival. This could be used to win rounds.

1 Like

I think this is one of the most interesting bugs your ever going to see…

This has existed for quite a while now and honestly its really simple to reproduce. It is not reproducible on studio as far as I am aware seeming as you don’t have the same exit button as you would in the game client. As far as I’m aware this has just been something which has existed for a long time and honestly you can really ruin games with it especially when a boss has to try to kill you and said boss can’t reach you.

So how do I freeze myself in time, where the server continues but you remain frozen in that exact instant?

• When your in game simply click and hold (but do not release) the exit button. Your screen will freeze, so will your character in game - your audio will continue depending on the sound type. That is all it takes to suspend yourself in time folks. If you release at the center of your screen or anywhere which isn’t the cross then you will simply continue falling. You can of course, exit normally but either way your character freezes.

Example of it being done (added the music for your own benefit so you can see my PC is still running and I haven’t lied):

Want to try it yourself? Have a high platform!
https://www.roblox.com/games/5221290592/High-Platform

3 Likes

Has anyone created their own half-fix to this so it can’t be abused? Such as kicking/killing player on the client if detected somehow. I tried doing this myself, and it worked, however, players whos game client legitimately froze for a few seconds would obviously be affected.

My anti-exploit system that handles character movement and such works by taking away a players network ownership of their character for a few seconds, so I might just link it to that.

The only other way of getting around this is having game-moderators treat it as a half-exploit and punishing players who use it (It is abused at times to avoid fall damage etc).

Some things to note about this, it is a 100% client sided bug. Meaning server sided code won’t be affected much or at all, if you have cooldown timers or anything of the sort, they shouldn’t be running on the client anyway as exploiters can quite easily by injecting code. Of course, this bug will also freeze all client scripts and all parts that the client has network ownership of (and all parts anchored to it).

You can use this to phase through walls in any direction, it is quite hard but can be very consistent with practice, only works on walls 1 stud or thinner at 16 studs per second speed.

There isn’t really a surefire server sided way to detect this as far as I’m aware, but obviously you can check if RenderStepped hasn’t fired for 5 seconds on the client and kill/kick them if not. Most people abusing a glitch probably won’t exploit just to allow them to abuse the glitch anyway. (Epic Minigames does this)

Roblox can’t really fix this, since it works on all windows applications (besides apps from windows store). The only way it can really be fixed completely by roblox is just by only letting users download windows 10 roblox and discontinue the old roblox application, which wouldn’t really work anyway since mac users wouldn’t be able to play.

Oh yes, it also works on mobile devices but repro is a bit different of course, I’ve never done it before but all you have to do is tab out of the roblox app and go back into it when you want to unfreeze.

4 Likes

Is there any solution to this? Players have been using this bug to freeze their characters completely in a game dependent on forced character movement.

2 Likes

This is still happening. This is an annoying issue to tackle. Roblox should really just work on making Roblox continue running while moving the window as some games already do.

It seems that it happens because of Window’s context bar opening upon right-click. Having a custom title bar would fix Roblox’s issue like in the UWP version.

1 Like