[Rude or Nice?] Are people too harsh on the dev forum?

Sometimes people can be rude to me.

Like when I say something very politely and someone says something rude. Or this one time when I told someone that his reply was spam and off-topic and then he started being rude to me (not gonna day any names)

2 Likes

This normally makes it so that you are referring to a past experience

I’m a very new forum member, but from what i’ve seen on here, I wouldn’t necessarily describe the people here as harsh, with the exception of a couple of topics i’ve read where the OP asks a very basic question that could be solved with a google search, but even then, there are people who offer help to find a solution. Even if there is a small amount of toxicity on the forums, it pales in comparison with the amicable support generally received throughout the forum.

1 Like

I think people are not that harsh as I agree with Krunnie’s statement.

1 Like

I am not talking about JUST ME. As I already stated above, their is a lot of newcomers that get teared down by comments and replys.

1 Like

Yeah, thing is people shouldn’t lose confidence by constructive critiscm because constructive critiscm is very important as it actually helps you get closer to mastering whatever skill you want to master.

No constructive critiscm = Not improving well and staying in your comfort zone

Constructive critiscm = Improving and staying out of your comfort zone

That is just how life works. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I would generally say, if you avoid collaboration, the dev forum is a very nice and chill place, with the nicest areas by far being lounge, and I don’t think ive ever seen a case of people being rude to each other there.

The only time I would personally consider myself as harsh would most likely be when i’m criticising the habits certain ‘groups’ of un-named users in this catagory, or occasionally when I see someone act like a really big moron in community resources and that drives me a little over the edge.

Its all in the delivery tho, while its ok to be ‘harsh’ you should never try and be ‘rude’, its worth trying to remember everyone is a human, everyone makes mistakes, everyone deserves seconds chances.

2 Likes

Agreed, It’s hard to improve on what you do wrong if there’s nobody acknowledging it. It may come off as rude, but generally people are just trying to help.

1 Like

But people cant just go on and speak their minds about whatever come to their head. People on the dev forum need to take a step back and think about others when they reply to others post.

Of course, that is why there is a rule on the developer forum saying to not be very rude, swear or be toxic.

But never let someone lower your confidence, keep pushing.

1 Like

Just for the sake of accuracy being preserved, swearing Is allowed so long as it is not directed at anyone. Swearing to emphasise a point is generally deemed acceptable as long as its not an attack.

2 Likes

I don’t think the Devforum is too harsh. There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism. There is no point in asking for feedback if you only want comments about how good it is, because you wouldn’t know how to improve it.

2 Likes

Discussion of the forum itself is what #forum-feedback is for.

In regards to the main post:

I feel like #collaboration is rarely a helpful category, and people are often harsh in ways that are completely uncalled for. Most categories are fine, but collaboration is often toxic. I wouldn’t call it harsh, people just interject with unneeded opinions when they wouldn’t even be interested in the job.

3 Likes

Well at the same time, replying is for feedback.

Yes but, I find, in recruitment especially there are a lot of morons that will just look at a post, see the payment and without reading any of the details will find something to complain about.

Its only worth replying if you have read the entire post and are able to word a pleasantly worded question about the position / you are actually interested.

1 Like

Uhmm and it’s also important to deal with constructive critiscm the right way.

For example, someone said that my code is inefficient but it works, most people might take that seriously but for some people they will proof that their code isn’t inefficient by adjusting it and improving it.

Alway’s think that constructive critiscm is an opportunity for you to succeed by showing people what you can actually do.

This topic is closed. Please do not send any more reply.

Sorry just noticed that :confused:

I mean, the #collaboration rules specifically say not to reply unless you’re interested in being hired.

2 Likes

Closed at request of author.