Copy/Paste Into Cut/Paste Into unreliable

• Describe the bug. Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.

I’m copying and pasting a bunch of character accoutrements (meshes, faces, hats etc) in and out of characters.

“Paste Into” is not reliably enabled.

It seems like I have to press CTRL + C more than once sometimes to get the selected objects into my clipboard

• How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)? What are the steps that reproduce the bug? Please list them in very high detail. Provide simple example places that exhibit the bug and provide description of what you believe should be the behavior.

Continuously

• Where does the bug happen (www, gametest, etc) Is it level-specific? Is it game specific? Please post a link to the place that exhibits the issue.

Prod

• Would a screenshot or video help describe it to someone? If so, post one.

• For graphics bugs, it is sometimes helpful to know your system specs, especially graphics card.

• When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke.

I didn’t have this problem last time I used Studio, maybe October.

• Anything else that you would want to know about the bug if it were your job to find and fix it.

I can send you my file if that would be helpful, but I have also experienced it cutting and pasting stuff from other files into mine, so I don’t think it has to do specifically with the content.

15 Likes

It’s possible that “locked” parts aren’t copying. At least, once I have “unlocked all” on the level, a recalcitrant model decided it would copy itself to the clipboard after all.

This is a bug. “Locked” is a status that only refers to selection. If I manage to select something, I want to copy it.

It’s also possible that copying is now O(N) in the size of the level instead of O(N) in the size of the model I’m cutting.

I’ve noticed behavior that would be consistent with the copy operation asynchronously taking 10 seconds to complete.

Am I the only one seeing this?

It’s really bad.

Thanks for reporting this, we’ll investigate and get back to you once we know more.

Can you provide the place file that’s having issues (if there are universe assets, please provide the place link instead)? Can you also provide a video of the issue?

I don’t have a repro, but it is happening so often that I have to imagine stumbling on it is not hard.

I have noticed that when the CTRL + C fails, the clipboard is emptied (anything previously in the clipboard is evicted), so the CTRL + V doesn’t do anything.

Steps:

1. Open two copies of Studio, one with a reasonable sized level in it, the other empty.
  2. Select a model in the level
  3. CTRL + C
  4. Change windows to empty doc
  5. CTRL + V

It will fail about 30% of the time.

Infuriatingly, doing the same steps again will sometimes work.

I have rebooted my computer as well, so it’s not some one-time funky state that I got into.

The size of the model seems not to matter.

Copying and pasting is the main way people (well at least me) build anything of any size in Studio.

1 Like

No this has been happening to me for a while. I just picked up the habit of spamming ctrl+c to make sure it actually copies.

1 Like

We cannot reproduce this issue following the provided reproduction steps. What OS are you on? What Studio version are you using? Can you send a place file that you have encountered this issue on?

Any update on this?

It is driving me insane.

I’m not sure what OS @Shedletsky uses, but I’m on Windows 10 and experience this from time-to-time. The last time I can say it happened for sure was on 317, but I don’t remember if it’s happened on 318 yet. I used the context menu rather than Ctrl+C/V and still had the same issue.

Excuse the necrobump, but I’ve been experiencing this problem as of recent on a 64 bit windows 10 PC in Studio. Both ContextMenu and shortcuts are proving unreliable.