Create new vector 10 degrees away from other vector

Hi! I am trying to create an algoritm that calculates a new vector c when the angle between vector a and b is more than 10 degrees. I want the vector c to be exactly 10 degrees away from vector a. Any ideas how to script this?

local a = CFrame.new(script.Parent.Position,lastTarget).LookVector
local b = CFrame.new(script.Parent.Position,target).LookVector
local angle = math.acos(a:Dot(b)/(a.Magnitude*b.Magnitude))
if math.deg(angle) > 10 then 
	local c = -- ???
end

Also, when using math.acos() I only get positive angles. How would I obtain negative angles as well? :slight_smile:

If you take the cross product of a and b, you will get a vector which you can then rotate a about (by 10 degrees).

1 Like

You mean to rotate the cross product 10 degrees relative to a? Could you show me how to do that? :slight_smile:

No, a:Cross(b) will give you the vector to rotate a about. You can Rodrigues’ rotation formula to rotate the vector a about the vector a:Cross(b). (Following the variable names: e = a:Cross(b).Unit, v = a)

1 Like

I wrote up an example here: local v1 = Vector3.new(10, 3, 5)local v2 = Vector3.new(-4, 3, 5)local e = - Pastebin.com where the red part represents v1 and the green part represents v2

2 Likes

Thank you so much for spending so much time on this! It took me some time to understand it, but it solved my problem! :slight_smile: