Creativity (Coming up with ideas)

So I recently just got serious about developing, I’ve learned a lot, and have a team of friends that dev as well. The issue is that I just have no creativity right now, when I try to brainstorm everything I come up with is either taken or sounds like a bad idea after a while. How do you come up with game ideas, is there a method, does it just come to mind randomly?

Sorry if this is the wrong category I’m new to the dev forums.

Pretty much anything you want to make has already been made before > the best thing you can do is make sure your game has better or different game mechanics that separate it from other games. Creativity can be a struggle when it comes to making a game, but if it really is a problem why not just make little showcases for fun rather than spending countless hours trying to make a game you don’t even really wanna make to begin with.

2 Likes

Your right why not, thank you.

I respect your opinion but I would disagree. There are limitless ideas everywhere. The easiest way to get started is to find something you like in life and bring them to life. For example, if you like to watch the the Avatar show, you can make an avatar game. One game idea I saw was making the tournament concept that existed in Legends of Korra, this is a very creative idea, and it was made not to be a copy of the game. To make another example, my friend, a very dedicated waterpolo player decided to make a waterpolo based video game on Roblox. These are a few of the millions of possible game ideas you can create. Copying another game is not a great idea, as you can’t really make a better game then the successful games you play everyday. I hope that helps you somewhat. Good luck!

Best Regards
KingTrolling

1 Like

If you come up with an idea that you like, you shouldn’t let the fact that somebody else has made a similar game stop you. As Theodore Roosevelt once said, “Comparison is the thief of joy”.