CTRL + L doesn't seem to work for selecting more than one part

When selecting more than one part, or a model, CTRL + L doesn’t seem to make the move arrows/rotation change to a different alignment. This is very annoying especially when trying to line up multiple rotated parts along a rotated plain.

You sir, just made my day. Never knew Ctrl + L existed. Also, I think you mean rotation instead of resize dots. Resize is already local.

Correct.

That’s because Ctrl + L puts the movement / resize into local space. But what exactly is “local space”, when you have multiple parts selected? There usually isn’t a single unique answer.

The tools could certainly do a better job and guess something reasonable, at least when all the parts are mutually orthogonal, but even so they wouldn’t be able to guess right every time. What you really want is a custom defined “local space” in which you’re currently manipulating the selection.

If you’re trying to line up models / parts, I highly recommend this plugin of mine:

Don’t let the name deceive you: It also works when you don’t explicitly want to line up edges, but also just for lining up faces in general.

[quote] That’s because Ctrl + L puts the movement / resize into local space. But what exactly is “local space”, when you have multiple parts selected? There usually isn’t a single unique answer.

The tools could certainly do a better job and guess something reasonable, at least when all the parts are mutually orthogonal, but even so they wouldn’t be able to guess right every time. What you really want is a custom defined “local space” in which you’re currently manipulating the selection.

If you’re trying to line up models / parts, I highly recommend this plugin of mine:

Don’t let the name deceive you: It also works when you don’t explicitly want to line up edges, but also just for lining up faces in general. [/quote]

Alright, I’ll try it out and see where I get to.